Monday, August 11, 2014

Win an ARC of NO PLACE TO FALL Twitter Contest!

Well, hey there! So nice of you to drop into these writers’ blogs and see what they’re up to. Here’s the deal. My name is Amber Vaughn, and I’m the main character in Jaye Robin Brown’s debut novel, NO PLACE TO FALL. Because I want you to read about me and read about my friends Devon, and C.A. and—be still my heart—Will McKinney, I’ve devised a scheme to encourage Lisa Maxwell to give away her ARC of the book I’m in.

If you don’t already know, I’m a singer. Will says my voice is as sweet as Patsy Cline’s which I think is hogwash, but still, I do love to sing. And I’m going to audition to get into the NC School of the Arts so I can get out of my tiny town of Sevenmile, NC and somewhere my whole life will be about music. But auditioning is seriously freaking me out. Yeah, I sing in church, and I sing out on the trails, but an audition? In front of people who really know their stuff?

So, I want your help. I mean, I know NC-Arts has real requirements and stuff for their auditions, but I don’t want you to pay attention to that. I want you to tell me which song you’d audition with and why. Which song is so personal to you your voice would shine?And I want you to do it in a tweet! (and it’s okay if you don’t think you can sing, my author, Jaye Robin Brown, doesn’t think she can either)

For example, I told Lisa Maxwell she had to share her audition song and here's what she had to say:


Hey all—Lisa Maxwell here, and Amber has insisted I choose an audition song, even though I’ve told her in no uncertain terms that this is a Very Bad Idea. Because, basically, I sing in my very own special key. It’s bad. Real bad. But if we’re going to pretend that I can sing and that I would audition, I would have to go with Fiona Apple’s “Paperbag.” I’ve always like singers with throatier, deeper voices and if I had to be a singer, I’d want that kind of voice. 

I was staring at the sky, just looking for a star
To pray on, or wish on, or something like that
I was having a sweet fix of a daydream of a boy
Whose reality I knew, was a hopeless to be had
But then the dove of hope began its downward slope
And I believed for a moment that my chances
Were approaching to be grabbed
But as it came down near, so did a weary tear
I thought it was a bird, but it was just a paper bag



You know, that or something really rocking and kickass like “Celebrity Skin,” by Hole or “Bring Me to Life” by Evanescence.

Oh, who am I kidding? I’d never get into music school...even if I could sing ;O)

I appreciate the effort, Lisa. That was real good. For the rest of you it might be a little harder, here’s the deal. Between today, August 11 and Wednesday, August 13th, until midnight PST, tweet your audition song and why, with the hashtag #NoPlaceToFall. I’m going to choose the winner (US only, please). That’s right, I, Amber Vaughn, will choose who gets to read about me. Here’s a hint. I want to see your singer’s soul!

If I just can’t decide, then I’m going to draw straws from the finalists and the ones I don’t pick will get some signed swag in the mail! And if you're curious about what my author chose as her audition song, you'll have to pop over to Lisa Maxwell's blog before you rush off to tweet me! See what Jro picked out, gosh, you think she would have picked out something I love, but no, she had to go get all authorly independent on me. Anyway CLICK HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'