Friday, June 20, 2014

When Sucky News Affects Awesome People

That's the case today with the news of Angry Robot killing its YA imprint, Strange Chemistry. I personally have three friends affected by the deal.

Two haven't even debuted yet and in some ways they're the luckier ones. Those books may be shopped to other publishers. There is still a chance for them to sell. But that doesn't ease the burn and grief of having their big debut moment pulled out from underneath them.

My other friend is mid-deal. The first in her scheduled trilogy only released a month ago. What happens in this situation? It's very hard for an author to sell the latter part of a series to a new publisher. It rarely happens. And what about the first book? Will Strange Chemistry still print a back list?

So I'm taking a moment for empathy. If it were me, I'd need a day or two or three for fetal position and tears. Then I'd start strategizing, figuring out what I wanted to do. Do I self-publish? Do I shelve these books? Do I try and find a new publisher? I know I'd be back on my feet sooner than later, and I know these three friends will be, too. They're that kind of strong.

So when you're ready to feel a little better and step out into the world, try on these shoes.



7 comments:

  1. JRo, thank you so much! I feel like the SC authors should form a support group complete with much vino! However, the video totally made me smile and I see some shoe shopping in my future. Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing your friends the best. So sorry they are going through this, cause yes I could imagine just how hard heartbreaking this would be. Great song and cheers to them back on feet sooner than later and with friends who support them like you are I am thinking sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true, JRo, it can always, always be worse... my new mantra, lol! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, my sympathies to them. This is like, "Can't I even get published when I *sell a book*, for goodness' sake?" I had a series that was orphaned twice, and a friend of mine also had her imprint close. There are so many bumps in the road, but we keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated hearing this so bad. I can't imagine the disappointment all these authors must be feeling. I sincerely hope they all go on to bigger and better things in their careers. *chocolate and hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending good thoughts to those poor authors! Definitely a not-fun situation. Hopefully they can find a way to get something to work for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, JRo. I'm holding good thoughts for the authors affected by this.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'