Sunday, May 4, 2014

We've Got The Funk. Got To Have That Funk.

Or in my case, maybe not. You see, I'm in this weird place of sophomore book blues. Getting No Place To Fall out into the world has been an absolute rush, from the Xmas in July contest, to agent decisions, to signing, to a sale, to all of the editing and milestones that come after the sale. It's a given, it's polished, and now it is completely out of my hands. Yes, it's still 7 months away from release, but for me it's done.

I thought I had my book 2 finished, but my agent and editor both felt that book wasn't the right follow up to NPTF. Luckily, I'd written a crappy first draft of a new book. This book, code name Unlikely Friendship, is a companion book of sorts to NPTF. It's set in the same fictional town, and one of the protagonists makes a cameo in NPTF.

But let me tell y'all, it's HARD. I'm writing dual POV between two girls. I'm writing a Latina and I want her voice to be distinct but not the voice of a white woman trying to write a Latina teen. I'm comparing this second revision to my polished and spit-shined NPTF, which is STUPID, but I can't help myself. And I keep reading great books which have me weeping in my coffee bemoaning the fact that I'm obviously a worthless hack.

All of this to say, I have sophomore book funk. I'm plugging away, and there are things I definitely love about it, and big visions of where I want it to be, but it ain't there.

So if I seem quiet of late, you'll find me here. Tearing my hair out.

10 comments:

  1. I'm rooting for you! I can't wait to get my copy of No Place to Fall. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you, JRo. I mean, right freaking there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YoU aRE noT ALoNe. I hope to submit my sequel revision (heavy revision) this week. Very scary and stressful. I'm looking forward to those weeks after submission when I can't do anything about it ,and I can cast my thoughts elsewhere, like to a Battlestar Galactica super marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will get there! Hang in there, JRo. We're all rooting for you!

    "reading great books which have me weeping in my coffee bemoaning the fact that I'm obviously a worthless hack" -- you are not alone in this, LOL. Reading amazing books usually makes me (1) swoon with the wonder of its goodness, (2) fall hard and fast into the aforementioned weeping-into-coffee phase, then (3) become buoyed up by hope and return to writing inspired and dreaming of possibilities. Here's to hope and possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll get your groove back, JRo. Best tip I can give you... walks, preferably with a dog at your side. That's when I usually find some way to bust through blocks, and after the winter we've all had, there's no better time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah. I'm there now, with the as yet unpublished book #1. After a wonderful and encouraging talk with Potential Editor, and lots of New Brilliant Ideas, I spent most of last week staring at the manuscript wondering why I thought I could ever do this in the first place.
    You'll get there. And when you do, send back rescuers for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said because everyone is right - you will get your groove back! One day while you're enjoying the fresh mountain air, things will click into place :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HUGS. All I've got for you is this marvelous video, which I'm clinging to right now. http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_success_failure_and_the_drive_to_keep_creating#

    You will get there, because it's home. You've never left.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this can be so hard -- when people are now *expecting* a book from you! (My second book got rejected, but eventually got published, still as the second book, after huge revisions.) Take lots of walks, think about your story in the shower, and give yourself time to just think and putter. Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you friends, it's looking up :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'