Sunday, March 9, 2014

Balance (or how the hell do you write, market, teach, live, clean, shop, cook, etc.)

Before I even start I'm giving up a hells yeah to the parents in the house. I no longer have kids at home, so can't even imagine what it would be like trying to conquer this particular maelstrom with toddlers or active middle schoolers. So, praise.

But here's what I'm yammering about. Time. Sweet precious beautiful time.

Yesterday it was 60 and sunny here. The first slap dead gorgeous day that felt like spring. And I had a list a mile long of ALL THE THINGS I wanted to make happen. And none of them included sitting behind my desk working on taxes or revisions.

Prior to my book sale, all of my writing time went to that. Writing. But now, my writing time includes things like guest posts, and researching marketing strategies. I'm involved with three different 2014 debut groups, which is invaluable, but also unwieldy. Not only do I want to promote my own stuff, but I want to promote them as well. And at the same time I don't want to become a promotion machine. My head is starting to spin with it and I'm still nine months (to the day!) from my book release. I'm also reading fellow debuts' ARCs which is great, but time consuming.

So what am I doing? I'm still getting up at 5 am every single morning to write or do writing related work. I'm still spending 4 hours or so in the weekend mornings dedicated to writing time. I'm starting to say no on occasion. The other thing I'm doing is pushing any book release excitement back a few months. Summer is when I plan to start worrying about it. I'll still have plenty of time.

But I can't give up life. There are young horses to ride and friends to keep. There are classes to teach and family to visit. So what's going to go? Probably this blog. At least temporarily. I have interviews with amazing authors lined up for a while, but once those are gone. I'm going to shut her down. I may be back or I may not. But I love you all!

Peace out.

4 comments:

  1. You will be missed :) Enjoy the beautiful weather and writing time and the horses and all the other wonderful things out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding your balance (or as close to it as you can) is important. I will miss you and hope you'll be back on occasion but understand if you cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should certainly do what's best for you, though I will miss your updates. Like Barbara, I hope you'll pop in once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like this post needs a huge AMEN. What I wouldn't give for some more time. I'll miss reading your posts, but some things have to give, and I understand. Best of luck managing it all (and if you figure it all out, I'm going to harangue you until you tell me how to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'