Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sunday Six (or, What's Up With Me)

I don't know if that's a thing, but we'll make it one. My blog posts have been less of the personal nature lately and more of the interview/pitchwars nature, so I thought I'd catch you up to speed on my world.

In list format! My favorite!

So here are six things happening in my world.

1.  My first pass pages came! These are the stack of pages you get, printed in the fonts and headings and flibberdygibbets that the real book is going to be printed in. It's cool. It's awesome. It's 354 pages! It's also scary as it's the last time I can make changes. I'm trying not to obsess, but I seem to be wildly vacillating between pride and "oh god, this is awful." They're due March 10th and I'm slowly picking my way through a few chapters at a time.



2. I just finished my first full (almost) week of school. We did have a two hour delay on Thursday so I guess it still wasn't a real full week. But after close to a month off, with only an intermittent day in attendance for not-inclement weather, I was exhausted and spent the whole day in bed yesterday (with the exception of farm chores).

3. I've been reading a whole bunch of 2014 release ARCS. I really enjoyed HEXED by Michelle Krys, an irreverent funny teen witch story set in Los Angeles. Lots of laughing out loud. It's something I probably wouldn't have picked out on my own and I would have missed a good one. I also thought Tara Dairman's ALL FOUR STARS, a middle grade about a young foodie with big dreams was totally adorable. I've just started THESE GENTLE WOUNDS by Helene Dunbar and I think it's going to be a heart wrenching contemporary, one of my favorite kinds. So put these on your TBR lists!

4. I finished my WIP, WHO I THOUGHT YOU WERE, during all my snow days. Six weeks, people! It was sort of my own little JaNoWriMo. Along with the help of my #30mdare folks on Twitter. Now it's time for the clean up. I have high hopes for this manuscript but honestly, I'm a little scared to start the revisions because of those high hopes.

5. I'm tired of winter. I need blue sky days and more daylight. But that damn groundhog says otherwise.

What I think of you, Weather Dog

That's me! What's up with you? Read any good books lately? Been anywhere tropical?


23 comments:

  1. Best of luck going through your first pass pages. How very exciting! I'm trying to finish a first draft of an MG Sci-Fi. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Sci-Fi! Sounds fun, and a departure from your other book!

      Delete
  2. Hahahahahaha...sob....on the tropical. But it is only -16 here and after -40 (windchill) that feels pretty darn warm! Been a reading lots of middle grade including Terry Lynn Johnson's ICE DOGS...which is upper MG and I would also booktalk to YA.

    Cool, cool cool on item number one on your list!!! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -40??? I can't even.

      And Ice Dogs arrived in my mailbox on Thursday! So excited!

      Delete
    2. imagine purple lips when running from vehicle into house. YAY on Ice Dogs....is that cover not beautiful?!?

      Delete
  3. You've sure been busy in the midst of all the snow and cold! And the closest I've been to the tropics was when I made some pina colada bars a while back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking in the cold. I've been on a scone kick, but my belly is starting to give me away!

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo to first pass pages - can't wait to see the cover reveal!

    Well, my TBR just got bigger. I can't ever pass up a YA contemp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first chapter, but yes!

      Delete
  5. I *wish* we got snow days here! I guess that's what I get in Montana, but -17 with windchill in the -30's, and a foot of new snow (and no slow plows ever) and I'm still expected to lecture. lol! Not complaining, really--I've actually almost gotten used to it. Congrats on your first pass pages and finishing your WIP! And bring on Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I imagine Montana doesn't have much mercy for snow days

      Delete
  6. Oooh...wondering who had my ARC next. Hope you enjoy it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about 50 pages from finishing up another book, but I have snow days in my future. Can't wait to get farther than the first chapter!

      Delete
  7. Big excitement with the pages. Sorry about the self-doubt beast. Kill that Monster! Yay for the WIP. And I will try to send some of this unseasonably summer-like weather your way. It snowed for a few days and now we've got 60s and sunshine again. So strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So jealous. We're about to get walloped with snow again this week.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the personal update! I can imagine that first pass pages are intimidating. We've had way too much cold and snow in MN this winter too. But, any amount of winter is too much for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. *grabby hands for your WIP*. I'm tired of winter, too, but, oh, look, it's snowing again! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Jen. It's not ready for other eyes yet!

      Delete
  10. Surprisingly Omaha's only had one snow day this year. But we've had numerous days where the wind chill is well below zero which means no one goes out for recess. Today was the sixth in the latest stretch - not that it makes the little ones antsy or anything…

    Love your picture of the Groundhog!

    Congrats on getting your pages. Can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recess is definitely an important part of the day! Here's to warmer weather.

      Delete
  11. Aw, thank you for the shout-out, Jaye! And thank you for reading AFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, my friend! I am back in the world of blogging, and I literally just squeeed when I saw your page pass. Soooo excited about your debut!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'