Friday, November 8, 2013

Children's Poetry Blog Hop

I've been picked by Jessica Stork (one of my awesome Keeper of Wonder interviewees, as well as a writer) to participate in a Blog Hop about Children's Poetry. Like Jess, I'm going to go with a poem I wrote back in middle school. I fancied myself quite the wordsmith back then.

So here goes. Jro circa eighth grade.

The Night Stalker

Night is a silent time
When animals are sleeping.
Nor crickets with their chime
Scarcely a bird is peeping

But there is one
Who is still stalking the night
'Tis the wild, roaming stallion
In his flight.

With his flaxen tail like the sails of a galleon
And his bright wild eyes
Searching the mist
So as not to be surprised.

When the golden moon comes up
He frolics with glee
Until the morn's early light
Wakes up me.


Yep, a horse girl since way back.
For the second half of this, we're supposed to ask three questions we'd like to be asked in an interview. (About Poetry)

1. Who was your favorite poet as a child?

My favorite poet as a child was not a poet whose work I read, but rather, my great aunt, Elena Greenfield. She had a tragic life and had the reputation as the "poet" in the family. I have one foggy memory of her, but my Great Aunt El was always built up large in my mind as exotic and mysterious and I felt a tremendous connection to her. Now I do have a couple of collections of works by Southern Poets, of which she is one.

2. Who is your favorite poet now?

Easy. I adore Mary Oliver. Her simple words about nature and dogs and lovely every day moments sing to me. I have several of her collections and think she's the bee's knees.

3. Is there a song you consider to be poetry?

So many! But right now I'm stuck on "The Weight of Lies" by the Avett Brothers. "The weight of lies will bring you down and follow you to every town, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere."

And now I'm tagging, Kip Wilson! - Kip, I hope you can play next Friday with a favorite children's poem or one of your daughters' poems, or maybe one of your own making!


7 comments:

  1. Great poem, JRo! You were definitely wordsmith back then, too :) And I'll have to go look for some Mary Oliver now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear, I'm afraid I didn't like poetry as a child. I didn't like the sing-songy stuff OR the hard to understand stuff, and I guess I felt it all fell in either category. I'm still not a huge poetry lover, but I got into Anne Bradstreet when I wrote a bio of her. I like a bit of Wordworth and Gerard Manley Hopkins. Emily Dickinson, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for tagging me! Love that you had your writing and your horses even back in eighth grade! I'll have to look up Mary Oliver. I'm a fan of kind of darker, heavier poetry (even for children!) as you'll see in my post next week, MWAH-hah-hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to it! And yes, look up Mary Oliver. She's amazing.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for tagging me! Love that you had your writing and your horses even back in eighth grade! I'll have to look up Mary Oliver. I'm a fan of kind of darker, heavier poetry (even for children!) as you'll see in my post next week, MWAH-hah-hah!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'