Friday, August 23, 2013

Hard Times Make For Soft Spirits

It's been a time of doom & gloom for NC teachers and students. Lots of education cuts, lots of pay cuts, the loss of tenure, jobs, and textbook funding. It's tough. Morale is low.

But just this week. I received this in an e-mail from a student that said "Jro, I saw this and thought of you. I can't wait for Art 3 next semester."


And another teacher and I, when called upon to sponsor more clubs, decided to co-sponsor a "Pay It Forward" club. We're a custodian short this year, so we're going to do things like empty the trash for the custodians, go into the parking lot and clean faculty windshields, write thank you notes to our friends and pastors and favorite elementary teachers, with our club members.

And today, two students rolled around a cart loaded with bowls of ice cream and sauces they distributed to the teachers with the message, "Happy Friday from MHS!" 
Ice cream crazed expression! The back of my shirt says "Infomaniac"
No big point here, other than to say, my heart is warmed. Maybe people do care.


6 comments:

  1. People do care. I agree. I love that your student sent you the image. How very touching. :) And, I adore your t-shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two daughters who are teachers, and it's so good to be appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. Hope things go well. And I love the Tshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how both the teachers and students are giving out. Very heartwarming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly what Marcia said! And I wear the 'ice cream crazed expression' alot, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom has worked for the public school system since I was a kid and I grew up to have many teacher friends; their generosity and love of the job never ceases to amaze me. And, of course, there are always those kick-butt students who appreciate all that hard work :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'