Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Update on Me and My Pony

A little over a week ago, I wrote about tackling my fear of returning to riding.
I arrived at Allison Creek Farm on Friday at noon. The clinic had already been going for half a day and my trainer, Joyce, caught me up. There were four other riders with their horses participating.

When Joyce first asked me if I could mount up, my hands started shaking, a fear ball lodged in my throat, tears welled up in my eyes and I told her I couldn't do it yet. She backed off, said it was fine. About thirty minutes later she asked if I could get on if she held him with his halter and lead rope. I said yes.

Next time, I mounted alone.

But Sunday, I was riding Little Man in patterns at the canter, all over the obstacle course, and down a short loop trail through the woods. I go back in a week and a half to pick him up and bring him home. Chelsea will follow him in a few weeks.

Where as a few weeks ago I was seriously contemplating the reality of continuing to own young horses that I wasn't using, now I'm trying to figure out how I can keep getting them both ridden on my own.

I may have even peeked at the NATRC (North American Trail Riding Competition) schedule to see when the next ride is.

Here's a little pictorial history

Me riding Zena in a Competitive Trail Ride
Zena's son Druid (Little Man) at 1 week old

Horse girl, once again! Riding Druid after six years of raising him!




8 comments:

  1. Yay! You go, girl! Seeing someone conquer fear is always super inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you were able to do it. Your horses are beauties as well. Conquering fears, esp. after rough experiences, is always hard...but you did it. :-) I'm eager to hear what'll be next for you and the horses <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I'm really happy you're back riding :) And the pics are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all. It's still feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Glad it went well, Jaye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful horses, Jaye! I didn't know you were a rider. I so identify w/ the fear of getting back in the saddle again when you've been off for awhile. To me, time w/ horses makes everything better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'