Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What's Up Wednesday

Today I'm jumping in on this weekly meme I saw on Katy Upperman's blog. I've been missing you all but need a short and sweet and low-stress blogpost. So here goes!


What I'm reading: 
I just finished Beth Revis' Science Fiction trilogy with her Shades of Earth. It was a fun, action-packed sci-fi adventure and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire trilogy. Book Three wasn't really my favorite but I had to follow Amy and Elder though to the end. Now I've got two books going, The Art of Racing in The Rain (loaned by my neighbor) which so far is told through the POV of a dog named Enzo. It didn't hold me enough right of the bat to keep me from picking up a second book from my TBR pile which is Rachel Cohn and David Leviathan's Dash & Lily's Book of Dares. I loved Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist and this book has all the same markers combined with quirky New York dialogue and wit. I'm going to fly through it I'm sure.



What I'm writing:
If you're a regular visitor you know that the only thing on my writing plate these days is my edit of Sing To The Wind - the book soon to be known as something else. These first round edits are due early June. I'm making good progress, but the panic is starting to set in a wee bit. A day off work may be in order one day soon.

My old school hand-marked manuscript is on the left, what I've gotten through is to the right.


What Else I've Been Up To:
See above. Hah. Well beyond that, I've taken stitches out of a horse's rear end. Mowed some grass. I'm going to hear a five man quartet this weekend. (So you caught that did you? I don't know either!) The fun new project for this week and maybe the remainder of the school year is my morning commute picture. Now that I have a nice phone with a good camera I've been snapping one pic a day and posting it before I start work. Perhaps I'll start a hashtag - I think I will! #morningcommute will be it if you want to check out future photos.

What Inspires Me Right Now:
I received an amazing appreciative letter from a former student this week. It's fueling me through this dreaded end of the year and inspiring me to continue being the teacher she wrote about in her letter. Do you want a quote? Here you go:

"At times I honestly felt like you supported me even more than I believed I could myself. So thank you so much for sitting there with me and talking about anything. Really, just thank you so much. I can't accurately express what it meant to me."

No Becca, it's me who can't accurately express MY THANKS. Wow. You know?

So, what's up with you?




14 comments:

  1. Aww, I love that message from your former student. Definitely inspiring. You should be very proud of the impact you're making.

    Best of luck with your revision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy! And thanks for the great idea.

      Delete
  2. The quote from the letter your former student wrote to you is really sweet. I can relate.

    I can't believe June is just a month away, but it's great that your revisions are coming along nicely. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah. I know. It's still coming and so much still to be done!

      Delete
  3. Aw, that's awesome you got a letter from a former student. I've had some amazing teachers over the years and they really do make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just the thing I needed for the end of a fairly thankless teaching year.

      Delete
  4. That letter.<3 You should be so so proud...to be you.<3
    And ahhhh edits on Sing!!! Wahoo!! Any new title? I know you were thinking of changing it. :-/ boo marketing :P

    Well, today was my birthday! I wore a new skirt and my favorite cardigan and a new pair of heels. I got free Starbucks and am reading WITHER by Lauren DeStefano. I nudged my R&R (eeeep!) since it is month 4 and not a word. I'm 20k into my WIP. I keep throwing myself dance parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd been in Boston we could have had a cupcake. Virtual cupcake all the same. :0) I wasn't as in love with WITHER as many of my friends were. The world was so abhorrent to me.

      Delete
  5. Love the note from your student! You must be an awesome teacher (not that I ever doubted that!). Sending lots of luck for surviving the end of the semester (just.two.more.weeks....) and revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I don't know about awesome. Some days I suck. But I do care about my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, you're taking a break, and I'm just jumping back in after a little break of my own!

    Good luck with the revisions, and now after reading that excerpt from your student, I want you for my teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful note from your student! There's not much that tops knowing you made a difference for somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful letter! That definitely says a lot about you.

    I've noticed that a lot of third books in trilogies tend to be a little disappointing. I wonder why that is. Good luck with those revisions!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'