Saturday, March 2, 2013

Hanging out in Limbo


I think it's time to admit I have a problem. I am a writer-a-holic. For the past three, going on four, years I have written with the intensity of the gods trying to make the pub deal happen.

The great news is, I DID IT! But now what? I'm stuck in the eternal wait of pub world. Waiting on my edit letter for SING TO THE WIND. Waiting on final betas for POPSICLE. Then I'll be waiting after those revisions when I send it to my agent to hear if it's going to be book 2.

And frankly, I'm not sure what to do with myself. Yes I've been reading. I took a trip to visit my family in Alabama. I've beta'ed for other writers. I've cleaned the house and gone out to dinner with local friends. But the itch is back.

The itch to work on words. 

But here's the thing. I really shouldn't start on anything else. Of course I have a shiny new idea, but I feel like I need to keep my mind clear for the edit letter I know is around the next bend. I have an older project I could revise, but again, it's going to require full focus and I don't want to get pulled off track.

So. I wait. And sigh. And roll my eyes. And open the fridge. And check Twitter. Or Facebook. 

And try to be patient. But it's soooooo hard.
That is all.



14 comments:

  1. Hey there, Jaye. I am just getting ready to sign up for and sign in on the check in for today. I don't know if this is the check-in for today or not, but I do have a question. Why wouldn't you start on your new idea, why would you just wait. You're a writer, it's what you do. It's what your publisher/agent should expect of you. Just curious where you got this advice and worry that maybe I am going about it in the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's just my personal preference because I know my edits are due to arrive in my inbox this month. I'm fairly linear when I write and I like to get absorbed into a story fully and have enough time to finish at least a draft before switching gears. Since my edit letter could come at any moment, I don't think I have the time.

      I am jotting notes about setting and character characteristics and possible plot lines, but it's not quite the same as new words. So it's not like I'm not working on it at all...just not writing.

      Good luck on your WIPMadness and no, I'm not the check-in. I think Kim Bacciella is, you can get to her from Denise Jaden's blog.

      Delete
  2. That gif is perfection--I seriously feel like that right now! I know what you're feeling, too. I've been that way waiting between letters and books, as the timing never seems to line up perfectly. Maybe trying something short that you'll know you have time to finish? Or if you ever want something else to read.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you need something read, Meradeth, just let me know. I have one on the plates for this week and of course when the edit letter comes I'm going dark. :0)

      Delete
  3. How about working on something really short that's outside your usual comfort zone? A poem, short story or magazine article wouldn't have to be a "keeper", but it might be a refreshing challenge. Or maybe you'll sell it to an anthology after you become a super famous author:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to write a "query" blurb for the book, just to keep up with that skill set. Torture me, please.

      Delete
  4. I felt like this a few times last year - I had a bunch of little projects that I had to wait to hear about, and it made me feel stalled. Eventually, I just followed the muse away from the fridge and got back to writing. But it was hard when I had to drop it to work on what I'd been waiting for. And it was even harder to get back into it afterwards.

    I like your approach - smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think it would be really hard. I have 2 on the plate right now in the waiting phase and that seems plenty.

      Delete
  5. I know what I want you to write :)

    I'd love to read a short story (backstory) about a certain secondary character in Singing--like a hot guy who shows up in the first scene and who recently moved to town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm....interesting. That could be fun.

      Delete
  6. Gah, I should add that I hope your letter arrives soon-but I've been enjoying reaping the benefits of your down time. Thank you, again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes we need a break and that is what gives us the itch again. After I turned in my edits I have literally slept every free moment I had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, Jaye... Patience is the very hardest part of this industry. Enjoy your break and read some good books. Before you know it, you won't have the time!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'