Thursday, February 21, 2013

Look Around You - Inspiration - Thursday's Child


I tried to take some pictures, I really did. But life got in the way.

What? Never happens to you? Come on. Life rears its ugly-got-to run-errands-feed the cats-walk-the-dogs-sweep the floor-head, all the time.

But if, as a writer, you are careful and observant, these tiny moments can boost your writing. I'm a big fan of the small moments. The cluster of nail polish bottles on a side table. The way a boy scratches the back of his ear when he's nervous. The shine of your father's car because without fail he takes it to the car wash every Thursday.

These small attributes are often where my stories start.
I think it's why characterization is often pointed out as a strength in my writing.

So for this Thursday, the little everyday things are my inspiration.

What small moments boost your writing?

(Edited to add - I wanted to start doing this posts that a friend of mine, Rhiann Wynn-Nolet, started on her blog. This one is a wee bit less than truly inspired. Bear with me as I get more inspired :0))


<!– start LinkyTools script –><!– end LinkyTools script –>

23 comments:

  1. Getting to know my characters is one of my favorite parts of writing. I love discovering their habits and little quirks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love life and all it's insane quirks sometimes :) I love watching people's gestures, though I often get hung up on them in my writing, but it's fun to see how people use them and incorporate them into the meaning of what they're saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I notice other writers little details, too.

      Delete
  3. This was very inspiring! I love the image created by the bottles of nail polish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is via my grandmother, and in my current WIP.

      Delete
  4. Yay, you're hopping with us! I'm so glad :) As a writer I enjoy figuring out the habitual gestures piece - and then I agonize that I've repeated them too often and they'll be labeled a "writer's crutch".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I've had days like the one you're talking about, but even in the chaos, I do have those moments that inspire me.

    Sometimes it's a remembered dream, sometimes it's an impression, or a news article or the lyrics of a song that start story for me. Thanks for asking.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2013/02/have-you-heard-about-presidents-wife.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you've joined in - I find this blog hop a great boost every week! I love watching for the little things too, especially the clean car observation. (My Dad's like that too).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm such a plotter. I could learn a lot from you, m'dear. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love finding the small things that help build character. And the nail polish is a perfect detail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha... don't worry — the path to inspiration begins with a single step....

    The little things, eh? For some reason, I tend not to notice them in real life. My mind skips over them, drifted of with some other thoughts. But when writing, I've become a lot better at capturing those little details in order to bring a setting or character to life.

    Now if only I could bring that keen eye to the world around me!

    Thanks for sharing and hope that you'll join us next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cutting me some slack, John! :0)

      Delete
  12. Ha! I wrote about the little things in life last week...great minds :)

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, little things can give you such great clues into character!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'