Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Absurd and the Ironic: Three of my all-time favorite movies.

In a recent author bio post, I wrote about loving the absurd and the ironic. Today while walking the dogs, I got to thinking about this statement and what it meant. I think I can sum it up best with three of my favorite offbeat movies and a clip from each.

Harold And Maude

Basic premise: Depressive teenage boy falls in love with much older woman who teaches him the joys of the small things in life. The Cat Stevens' soundtrack is an awesome bonus. Here's one of my favorite scenes:



Pecker

Basic premise: Carefree Baltimore teen loves taking and developing photos of the odd cast of characters in his blue collar neighborhood. He gets 'discovered' by the art world scene and they try to pull him in but he turns the tables. Not as bawdy as some John Waters' films, but a bit raunchy in places. The grandmother and her talking Virgin Mary statue, along with Pecker's sugar obsessed sister, Little Chrissy make this movie a classic.





Baghdad Cafe

Basic premise: German tourist and her husband get in a fight. He drops her beside the highway in desert New Mexico and leaves. She limps to the Baghdad Cafe, where she ends up transforming herself and the motley crew that live in the trailer court next door.




What quirky or cult classic movies do you love? Share so I can put them on my queue!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, Harold and Maude. I haven't seen that in maybe thirty years, but I remember how quirky and fun it was. And The Bagdad Cafe was a good movie. Haven't seen Packer, but will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen ANY of these. eeesh I suck as a cult movie girl huh?? My favorites are HEATHERS, PUMP UP THE VOLUME and FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (okay not quite a cult but a 80s classic lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I did remember Pump Up The Volume after I looked it up, but have never seen FON - it's added!

      Delete
  3. Oh now, Heathers is definitely one. I DON"T KNOW the other two. Yay! New movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite cult movie is definitely "Empire Records." I don't think there's any movie I quote in numbers remotely approaching that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added! Anything with Liv Taylor is a win in my book.

      Delete
    2. I mean Tyler, as in of Steven Tyler's stuff.

      Delete
  5. Well, if you've never seen The Big Lebowski, that should be your very next stop!

    Also, Rushmore, Greenberg, Office Space, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (To get ready for Before Midnight, which is supposed to be out this year, and is the film I'm most looking forward to in '13) Clue, do you need more? I can keep going :D
    The Informant, The Money Pit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen many of these but didn't know Sunrise had a sequel! It's on the list. And sad to say - I've never seen The Dude - but I just moved it to the top of the queue

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of any of these!??!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I haven't seen Baghdad Cafe since I was a kid! (hmm, I'm wondering if my mom should have let me see that...) I need to check out Pecker--haven't seen that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pecker looks fun, quirky, and cute! Would love to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew the first two, but not the last one.

    My husband showed me "Rubber" on NetFlix. Movie within a movie: an abandoned rubber tire finds sentience in the desert, and rolls around. His newfound kinetic abilities enable him/it to blow up things.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'