Friday, January 18, 2013

Let's Talk Playlists!

Lately I've been obsessing over Grooveshark. I made a playlist for SING TO THE WIND (over on the side bar) and then I made a playlist for my WIP, tentatively titled THE PERFECTION OF A WATERMELON POPSICLE. (below)

I used to be a music-a-holic. I've seen great music, everywhere! I saw Dire Straits in London, The Church there, too. I went to a Paul McCartney concert in Paris. Saw David Grisman and Jerry Garcia at the Filmore in San Francisco. I've stood in the most beautiful canyon on earth - Telluride, Colorado - for two Bluegrass festivals in a row listening to the likes of Ani DiFranco, Peter Rowan, James Taylor, and many more. I've spent countless years at the New Orleans Jazz Festival where one year I made the smart decision to skip a plane flight to catch Stevie Ray Vaughn. In high school I saw ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, The Doobie Brothers, Journey, Styx, and more. I had a beer thrown on me at a Dwight Yoakum concert and discovered I'd gotten old at an Edie Brickell show. In between, I've seen countless indie bands at small festivals and clubs all over the southeast.

But then, I quit. We adopted kids and their musical taste took over the car radios and CD players. That music sounded like so much noise that I just stopped listening. It was expensive to buy music and the radio stations never play the stuff you really want to hear. And who has time to spend hours flicking through Itunes when you have crappy Internet and no money and a day job that never ceases.
But now, I'm back. And loving listening to really great tunes. So in honor of my playlist obsession, I'm giving away a $10 Itunes card. But only if you share your favorite bands with me! Give me tunes, people!


20 comments:

  1. My current favs are Imagine Dragons, Fun., and Walk off the Earth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Of the blurbs I just listened to I really liked Walk off the Earth. Imagine Dragons is coming to Asheville soon but it sold out fast. So is The XX who I love, but it sold out fast, too.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is hard! How about top 10? Bands - U2, Snow Patrol, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Black Eyed Peas, Solo - Eddie Vedder, Ray Lamontagne, Adele, Kate Bush, Alex Clare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Black Eyed Peas are fun.

      Love Adele, listened to a ton of U2 in college. Kate Bush now there's a name I haven't heard in eons. I know some of the others but haven't listened much to them.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to say Imagine Dragons too, and the new album by Florence and the Machine. The Chemical Brothers always get me going too! (And the Thrift Store song? Um, *love* it, mainly because I'm a total thrift store shopper and it friggin' cracks me up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence and the Machine I like some of, but not all. Grooveshark is being slow right now but I will report back on The Chemical Brothers who I DO NOT KNOW! Will also look for the Thrift Store Song.

      Delete
  4. Hello! I've realized that a lot of my favorite artists aren't in bands. But as of late I'm loving The Lumineers, The Civil Wars(duo), The Paper Kites, and The Narrative.

    And, just because, I'm in love with The Stable Song by Gregory Alan Isakov. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, love, love the Civil Wars. I don't know any of the others! Yay, new music.

      Delete
  5. Recent finds that I like are The Rubens, The Head and the Heart, and Of Monsters and Men.

    Glad you're finding your love of music again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of Monsters and Men, but not the other two, wow! Cool!

      Delete
  6. I'm so out of the music loop right now. I listen to the radio and like some songs there, but I can't tell you who's singin' em. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay Angelina, maybe you'll find some in the comments to listen to! I am.

      Delete
  7. Madeon is a French Electro House DJ I discovered in 2012. He is only 17 and he made one of the most awesome mash ups I ever heard. It's called Pop Culture and not really a mash up or a remix, since he combined so many snippets from a ton of songs he likes into a completely new work of art. It's definitely my most song of 2012.

    Not sure if it's your cup of tea, but here is a link to a video of him playing it live on a Novation launchpad and Ableton Live.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lTx3G6h2xyA#!

    Makes me wanna go Footloose each and every time I hear it.
    And his other tracks are just as sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as much my cup of tea, music wise, but how cool to watch him put it together, and wow do I love to hear about completely cool and creative teenagers - I sound like an old fart but when seventeen year olds are this focused and vibrant it makes me think the planet is going to be just fine. Thanks for sharing Spike!

      Delete
  8. Pentatonix is one of my favorite bands right now. They're an all a capella band that completely blows my mind how they incorporate pop/rap sounds into their music. I listened to their Christmas CD on repeat this year :)

    Also, a random favorite song: Tell Me That You Love Me by Victoria Justice (it's very my WIP right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. At the moment my favorite song is Poison & Wine by The Civil Wars. But I love to listen to all different genres. Blues, Rock, Country, R&B...pretty much everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were on the Macklemore early and on repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meradeth and Shemp! This thrift store shopper is in love with that song.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorites bands are Nirvana, Weezer, Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters, Hole, the Decemberists, and the Pretty Reckless, but lately I've been listening to Mother Mother NON-STOP.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow -- I have to admit I'm not into playlists for books. I don't actually listen to that much music, and I write in silence. If I were to listen to music, I'd drift away into my own thoughts, not my MC's.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'