Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Wish For the World


We're on the eve of the day that's been predicted as predicted by the Mayans to be the end of the world. I'm pretty certain it's a load of rubbish, but it's still fun to think about,

What if Saturday is a brand new world?

What if something could be different?

My wish is simple.

I want people to act out of love, not fear.


 I want us each to remember that every person on the planet has hopes, dreams, needs, desires and beliefs. Just because we believe one way doesn't make the other wrong. But we've got to stop trying to take others over and insert our will where it's not wanted or needed.

One of my favorite moments in Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible is when democracy is introduced in the Congo and tribespeople are faced with the concept of voting. The elder villager speaks to the fact that before the vote was brought, they would have big campfire talks until everyone, even if not happy about the outcome of a decision, was at least satisfied they'd been heard. With democracy, he explained, almost half the people aren't happy. That passage has always been so profound to me.

I realize our earth is too large for campfire meetings and that politics is a vast sticky spiral of webs, but this is about wishes. And this is mine.

Care to join our blog hop and post your own wish for a brand new world? Sign up below and we'll hop on by!



4 comments:

  1. I just posted my last blog post until Jan. 2nd, but can I post what I wish here?

    Not to sound like Ms. America or anything, but I wish for world peace. Seriously. Can you imagine a world where everyone treated others the way they like to be treated? What a wonderful place this world would be. I recall my grade school bus driver had a sign above his head and it read: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's a simple concept, but would have amazing results. ~Happy Holidays, JRo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is your Ms. America moment! I can imagine it. :0)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful wish. I have never thought about democracy like this, but it makes a lot of sense--just like you are inclined to understand if you can't get a raise when your boss tells you it's because your company won't make its mortgage payments otherwise.

    I also like the idea that we should try our best to respect our differences. I have recently come around to the reality that when I expect someone to see my perspective, I am assuming their brain works the same way mine does. And this isn't always true. So sometimes when I feel like others are being stubborn, in actuality they are truly incapable of seeing things my way.

    This is a hard lesson to learn, but it also makes it easier for me to sometimes let things go. As long as I'm confident with how I feel and why I feel it, it shouldn't matter so much what others think, anyway.

    (Thanks for making me think these last few days! A brand new world... Wouldn't that be f**king magical??)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'