Thursday, December 6, 2012

How cool is that?

This morning when I got to school, there was already a student in my room. Don't know how or why the door was unlocked and all lights blazing, but sometimes it happens that way. Anyway, this girl had picked up artwork that had fallen in the hallway over night and was dutifully re-taping it to hang again. She's a cool kid. One of my faves and is in the know about my alter ego writer life.

I was excited about a passage I'd written before leaving for work and asked her if I could read it to her. The passage in question was my MC's first in-depth observation of the boy who's entered her world. I really liked it.

When I'd finished reading not only the one, but a second passage, my student got a big grin on her face.

"How cool is that," she said.

"What?"

"You know, to be able to make up romantic scenarios and have people care about what happens."

Me, "Like in the book?"

"Yeah, and like, you know, when people finish it they're going to have real emotions. Like some of them are going to hate it and some of them are going to love it, but they're going to have, you know, FEELINGS, about this stuff you made up in your head."

She turned back to taping and proceeded to tell me all about how the boy I'd described was a lot like her brother and then asked me loads more questions about him, about the story, about the girl, and when she was done all I could think was,

How cool was that?


15 comments:

  1. So lucky to get to interact with your audience on a daily basis... I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky! And most days I act like it, though I do have my stereotypical hs teacher days. Actually it's funny, I'm always listening in on my student's conversations and occasionally I butt in. One of my kids yesterday said, yeah, you've gotta be careful, Jro's got like 14 ears. Cracked me up.

      Delete
  2. Jaye, your post just gave me chills, especially this part...

    "Yeah, and like, you know, when people finish it they're going to have real emotions. Like some of them are going to hate it and some of them are going to love it, but they're going to have, you know, FEELINGS, about this stuff you made up in your head."

    So beautiful. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that was what gave me chills. And just how savvy she is to even see this and realize it. She then went on to say how she wished she could do something so cool, which gave me the opportunity to say "DO IT!"

      Delete
  3. It's so great that your characters came alive for her. That's got to feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so blown away by her ultra cool response that I didn't think about that. But you're right! :0)

      Delete
  4. That is cool. So cool. And she's right. Readers care about characters in the books there reading and when your book (which I just found about which sounds amazing!) releases in 2014, you'll have bunches of people caring about characters which you created and before that only you knew and cared about.

    "Yeah, and like, you know, when people finish it they're going to have real emotions. Like some of them are going to hate it and some of them are going to love it, but they're going to have, you know, FEELINGS, about this stuff you made up in your head." Love this.

    I love the sound of the passage you showed her, I'd love to read it. Happy writing and new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! Thank you, so sweet. It's all still very surreal to me. :0)

      I hope this passage ends up being the second book in my deal (another YA contemp stand alone - though this one could have a companion book) - It's called The Sweetness of a Watermelon Popsicle.

      Delete
  5. That is wonderful and awesome! Gah, I wish there were more students like that in the world (finals week puts me in the frame of mind that there are *far* too few). Love what she had to say--that has to be one of the best ways to describe why I love writing and reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've sounded like you're having a tough time of it at the university where you teach. I'm glad I teach art and not something as academic, I fear I'd be just as frustrated.

      Delete
  6. Super cool. So great when people get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love her response.

    It is so freaking cool!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'