Sunday, October 14, 2012

Small Town Saturday

Yesterday we had a small main street Heritage Festival and I got to hang out with my art club all day. Hope you enjoy this picture essay of life out here in Appalachia!
The art club booth - a free kid's activity - and a donation jar for our field trip.

We joined forces with a local craft school who did this handmade paper butterfly craft.

Mine are the sharpie'd toes - but my student's black ones have John Green's signature on the toe!

A portable blacksmith's forge.

Monarch butterflies drying in the sun.
Katniss made an appearance.

Former students getting their freaky fun on!
The DAV was out in full force.

The animal rescue was out - this was too classic!

What's a festival without funnel cakes?


The 4-H brought out some critters.

Perfect. The twang of a mandolin and the rush of a coal car passing by.

If you look close into those mirrored shades, you might see me.

Boys do love their train engines.

I found it ironic that the Domestic Violence coalition was sponsoring a haunted tent. Maybe that's just me? But there was a lot of screaming going on.

This fellow was giving mule rides for $2.

Back of a pick up is the perfect place to sell your molasses.

The Fire & Rescue used their boot as a napkin paper weight! Too classic.


Hope you enjoyed this journey through my little town's festival!




20 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! I love small-town festivals. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sweet - fun for my students to be a part of it.

      Delete
  2. What a perfect way to spend a Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - though I was tired by the end of it.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely lovely! Reminds me of my first date with ghost Hunk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photo essay! Love your sharpie toes (and John Green! cool). But yeah, the screaming haunted tent? Not the best decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, right? I kind of thought the pairing was a bit odd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely day you had. I just love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like y'all have a ton of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so fun-missing NC right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a blast! I want one of those funnel cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pictures from this festival, and thank you so much for your kind words on my blog. Definitely the hardest challenge I've ever been faced with, but your support means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun day! Love those sneakers. That dog is priceless. Wanted to grab a funnel cake. Love those yummy goodies! Thanks for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! I'd love to take my daughter to a similar festival... I think she'd have so much fun! I love the image of the butterfly prints, and I love the Converse. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'