Thursday, October 4, 2012

I'm a little Nutty. A Dog Story.

So the first of the Nuts wasn't a nut at all, but a Clyde. He was a standard wire-haired dachshund, part of a pair that my uncle bred (he brought a breeding pair back from his time in Germany) - Bonnie and Clyde. Unfortunately, Bonnie had to be re-homed because she was snappish with little people. And as you can see, I was a little people at the time. I had Clyde until the summer I went away to camp in about 5th grade. I came home to a house without Clyde and was devastated. He was my first heart dog.
Me and Clyde

Then, fresh out of college, I got my very own dog. A friend had adopted a female stray who promptly gave birth to 3 pups. I chose the runt and he became Peanut. I had Peanut for 10 years, from single life to married life to divorced life to finding my soulmate. When I lost him, a part of me went, too.
Peanut looking rather guilty about something.

But then in the spring of 2010, this face came across the Facebook page of a nearby animal shelter.
Hazel (nut) was feral, but I adopted her anyway. She took six months to learn to trust but became the happiest little dog ever. Last spring, she got into something toxic along with my big boxer/hound mix. He made it, but her little body wasn't up to the task. Again. Crushed.
Hazel was on a leash for a long time learning to be near humans.
So, being nutty and missing my little scruffy dog that I always seem to need in my life, I started poking around the internet. And I came across this face. You're beginning to see my pattern, right?

I'm so excited to introduce you to the fourth of my scruffy black and tan mixes. The lovely and petite, Coco (nut) - I'm guessing she's a Schnackillon. (Schnauzer, Jack Russell, Papillon). She has Schnauzer scruff, Papillon radar ears, and a wiggly waggly tail. I'm totally in love already. And you can see she's making herself right at home!
Coco loves the bed already!

Anybody else have a series dog problem?








10 comments:

  1. Oh, what a cute little face. I can see why you took Coco home with you. I don't have a writing dog, but I have similar feelings for my writing cats. May you two have many, many happy years together.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2012/10/waitingthirteen-thoughts-and-update.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I told her she has to live to be at least ten! But I'll hope for way more.

      Delete
  2. No. But I'd like to . . . Hug that Coco goodness for me, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coco is adorable! I have to say that the internet is dangerous for animal nuts. I personally have a serious Petfinder addiction. We have one good older dog, and yet I fell in love with a little retriever mix that I spotted at our local shelter, via a picture on the internet. I loved her the moment I saw her, and last Saturday, I brought her home. We named her Jessie, and hopefully we'll have many good years together, as will you and Coco. :-) Congratulations on your new love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally in love. She's figured out how to hop from the top of her crate into the bed. Such a snuggle buddy. Congrats on Jessie!

      Delete
  4. The way you write about dogs is the way I feel about them too. "My first heart dog" you say. I totally get what a heart dog is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you do :0) Your golden is a lucky guy!

      Delete
  5. How wonderful of you to take in all these dogs who needed loving homes! You clearly care so much for them, and they are lucky to have you. And congratulations on your new puppy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dogs. Don't ever want to be without one.

      Delete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'