Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Bit More of the Dream Story - When it's Slow it's slow, but when it's not it ZOOMS!

First off, I just want to say thank you. THANK YOU! The outpouring of congratulations and way-to-go's and we-knew-its has been awe inspiring. Me? All this, for me? For my words? It's truly a dream come true.

Some of you may remember this spring, when I posted this.

And then, lo and behold, I got to post this.

And now, to get to post that I've sold not only one book, but two. Whoa. Amazing. But the story is good, too, and I want to share the pertinent details because it's a bit like a fairy tale, and I have to remind myself that up until this manuscript -this moment - my publishing path has been rocky. I'm one of those overnight success stories who had five manuscripts before this one.

So here goes. If you recall, I was in the fortunate and anxiety-ridden spot of having to choose between brilliant agents. When I'd made my final call and the dust settled, my agent sent me an e-mail from an editor who'd introduced herself to my agent like this - "I had lunch today with an agent who was bemoaning the loss of a client to you and said I absolutely had to be in touch about the manuscript." Pretty cool, right? I didn't know agents did that for each other.

After my agent returned from traditional August vacation to work it was only a few days before I noticed an editor had followed me on Twitter. Whoa. An editor! Following me?

I DM'ed my agent. "Um, there's an editor from Harper Collins stalking me on Twitter." I got an immediate DM back. "She loves your book. So Exciting!" That's how I found out I was on sub. I'd asked to know nothing and nothing I knew. Then I saw Harper Collins IP addresses showing up on my tracker for blog and website and I started to have full frontal freak-outs.

Then my agent e-mailed with an "I've got fun news when can we talk?" e-mail. Um. Now. Like five minutes ago, please.

The editor wanted to talk to me to see if we agreed on revisions and I think just to see if we got along. That's how I ended up having a lovely conversation with Sarah Dotts-Barley during my planning period one day. Mostly we talked about books we loved, the fact that her sister and I went to the same summer camp, and  a little bit about my book and her ideas. But it was SO EASY. After our phone call, I really hoped my book would end up with Sarah. (Even if she is an Alabama fan and I'm an Auburn fan)

I won't get into all the nitty-gritty details of subbing and negotiations because a) it's my agent's biz and b)it's my agent's biz, but I ended up with a 2 book-deal with Harper Teen in the hands of an editor who is wild about my book. All in about 3 1/2 weeks. (You are awesome Alexandra Machinist!)

It's awesome. Totally awesome. And I'm so glad y'all have been here for the journey with me. Big hugs. Big love. Big gratitude. 


38 comments:

  1. You're going to make me cry. Beautiful story. Roll Tide!!! *oops, sorry*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sucking up to the editor, I see! :0) Thank you Linda.

      Delete
    2. lol, Linda...me too. Gads I love good news like this. Writers are hard workin' bunch and it kinda rocks when we see it pay off for someone!

      Delete
  2. I love this story and I can't wait to read Amber's! I remember her query and first page and gsjfghghgh Jaye I am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations again! It's not just luck. This is where you belong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fairy tales. Thank you for making them real. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Wow - two books :0 - that's supposed to be an impressed face. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm bursting at the seams with joy and pride and excitement for your hard-earned success, Jaye! I wish you the best of luck further on -- but more importantly, more of the strength, commitment and talent that brought you here! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So heartening, Jaye. I can't read enough about this. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me, too! I am thrilled for you and filled with new hope at the thought that fairy tales do come true! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WooHoo!!!! Jaye, THAT'S THE MOST AWESOME NEWS EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exciting news, Jaye! I'm so happy for you! I know a lot of hard work goes into getting to this point and it's wonderful to hear yours has paid off. Congratulations!!!
    ~ Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my GOSH!!!!! What awesome good, good news. Congratulations, man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So proud of you! What an insiration! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what wonderful news! Kudos and more kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. JRO!!!!!!!! Just catching up on news. I knew this was coming, but I'm SO GLAD to see that it really and truly happened for you! Yippeeeeeeeee! So awesome. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been meaning to swing by and read this for ages and am so glad I finally found a second (amid bagel lunches at my desk)--this is such an awesome story, and I am so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE reading your story and just had to heap another huge CONGRATS on you! Have fun celebrating!! You've earned it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear - I took a video of one of the calls like you - but I didn't look near as cute!

      Delete
  18. During your planning period? The rest of that school day must have been interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'