1. What is the working title of your book? The Hot Pink of a Watermelon Popsicle
2. Where did the idea come from the book? I had a vision of a beautiful redhead living in a colorless world. I added in a popsicle truck, a pinata maker, and a date to a finch farm. Voila. Insta-story.
3. What genre is your book? Contemporary Young Adult
4. Which actors would you choose to play the characters in a movie? Lucky for me, I have their photos downloaded as inspiration. Molly Quinn would play Claire and actor Tyler Posey would play Asa. Young singer Ann Abi would play Claire's best friend Renee. I'd post pictures but for those darn copyright laws.
5. What is a one sentence synopsis of your book? Claire's living in a colorless world since the death of her ten-year-old sister until she meets Asa, the hot Hispanic boy whose Papi makes pinatas and whose mother operates a gourmet popsicle truck.
6. Will your book be self-published or repped by an agency? Well, since I'm recently agented I'm trying my hand in the traditional direction. Having said that, we live in a great time to be a writer - so many avenues to choose.
7. How long did it take you to finish your first draft? I'm still drafting. At about page 105.
8. What other books would you compare yours to in this genre? At the risk of sounding pompous, I'd like this story to be as poetic as The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson- there's even a dead sister in common - though the stories are different. I hope. That book did inspire me. Other than that, another book with a similar feel, though different story is Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez. But those books are masterful - really masterful - mine is only a draft at this point and may change tremendously.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book? No person in particular inspired this. I did have a date to a finch farm many years ago that I've always remembered. The boy was an artist who loved to sketch birds. So is my love interest, Asa. A writer buddy suggested that Papi be a pinata maker and I knew I wanted a gourmet food truck to be a part of it. I love that movement happening around the country.
10. What else about your book my pique a reader's interest? It's set in Maryland outside of Baltimore - so that region of the country plays a part in it.
Thanks Jen! This was fun :0)