Friday, September 7, 2012

The Next Big Thing

Thanks to Jen McConnel for tagging me in this fun post. It gives me the chance to talk about the manuscript I'm working on and share that love with some friends.  I'm tagging, Pat Esden, Laura Renegar, Barbara Watson, and Kip Wilson.

1. What is the working title of your book? The Hot Pink of a Watermelon Popsicle

2. Where did the idea come from the book? I had a vision of a beautiful redhead living in a colorless world. I added in a popsicle truck, a pinata maker, and a date to a finch farm. Voila. Insta-story.

3. What genre is your book? Contemporary Young Adult

4. Which actors would you choose to play the characters in a movie? Lucky for me, I have their photos downloaded as inspiration. Molly Quinn would play Claire and actor Tyler Posey would play Asa. Young singer Ann Abi would play Claire's best friend Renee. I'd post pictures but for those darn copyright laws.

5. What is a one sentence synopsis of your book? Claire's living in a colorless world since the death of her ten-year-old sister until she meets Asa, the hot Hispanic boy whose Papi makes pinatas and whose mother operates a gourmet popsicle truck.

6. Will your book be self-published or repped by an agency? Well, since I'm recently agented I'm trying my hand in the traditional direction. Having said that, we live in a great time to be a writer - so many avenues to choose.

7. How long did it take you to finish your first draft? I'm still drafting. At about page 105.

8. What other books would you compare yours to in this genre? At the risk of sounding pompous, I'd like this story to be as poetic as The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson- there's even a dead sister in common - though the stories are different. I hope. That book did inspire me. Other than that, another book with a similar feel, though different story is Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez. But those books are masterful - really masterful - mine is only a draft at this point and may change tremendously.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book? No person in particular inspired this. I did have a date to a finch farm many years ago that I've always remembered. The boy was an artist who loved to sketch birds. So is my love interest, Asa. A writer buddy suggested that Papi be a pinata maker and I knew I wanted a gourmet food truck to be a part of it. I love that movement happening around the country.

10. What else about your book my pique a reader's interest? It's set in Maryland outside of Baltimore - so that region of the country plays a part in it.

Thanks Jen! This was fun :0)

18 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! And the more I hear about this WIP, the more I love it. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! Your WiP sounds amazing. THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE is one of my favorite contemps, so yeah... Your story most definitely intrigues me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! Yes, I love that book - I haven't read it since last year - don't want to, but the lush imagery did inspire me.

      Delete
    2. I mean, I don't want to read it again Now because I don't want to be further influenced by it in a subconscious way - if you know what I mean ;0)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tag! These are fun things to answer. I will have to make room for this in my blog schedule.

    I love the idea of a gourmet popsicle truck! Maybe then I would also love popsicles...which I currently don't. But I'm certain from what I've read here that I would love this WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of a friend started a biz in Atlanta called King of Pops - they do street carts and everything - researching flavors has been fun!

      Delete
  4. Love the premise and the title! Handling death of a sibling is never an easy topic, but this sounds like there will be great balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - yes, it's interesting to look at all the ways that grief affects people at all ages.

      Delete
  5. Awesome! As you know, THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE is one of my all-time favorites, and it sure sounds like you've got a lot to love here. I'm excited to dig into these questions about my WIP, too. Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this wasn't my planned post - but I thought the questions were fun.

      Delete
  6. Your book sounds really intriguing. Popsicles and a finch farm are both big draws for me. Yes, wasn't Virtuousity wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like Virtuosity - I tend to enjoy introspective heart books.

      Delete
  7. So fun to read you post. It's been awhile since I'm been over here (so busy with end of summer fun and start of school year craziness). Love your title. and congrats on being agented. I'm curious about that date to a finch farm. I didn't even know there were finch farms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was in Arizona outside of Phoenix. The imagery has never left me. In my WIP it's actually an exotic bird sanctuary - but the gist is the same.

      Delete
  8. Yours sounds like fun! Thanks for tagging me. I enjoyed answering the questions on my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for tagging me. I think this was the most fun meme ever! Except you keep giving me the urge to make a pinata :) I'm looking forward to reading this story.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'