Monday, September 17, 2012

GUTGAA Pitch Contest #5 - I, Spy


I, Spy
Adult Romantic suspense
83,000

QUERY:

For CIA operative Talia Reynolds, Canada is pretty much the bottom rung of the ladder in terms of detecting threats and being in danger. But even in Ottawa, the options are be careful or be killed, so Talia has had “careful” drummed into her skull pretty hard—hard enough that she can’t tell her longtime boyfriend Danny about her Top Secret occupation. That deception becomes harder still when she finally catches a hot case: aerospace engineer (and potential spy) Fyodor Timofeyev.

Now Talia has to continually ditch Danny to seduce the secret-stealing scientist on a three day deadline. As those days dwindle, keeping Danny away from danger grows more and more difficult. When her datebook isn’t the only place her two lives collide and Fyodor targets Danny, Talia must choose to save either her secrets and her country, or the man she loves.



First 150 words:

I don’t do cat suits. The leather/plastic/spandex coatings female spies pour themselves into on TV are ridiculously impractical for actual spy tradecraft: no mobility, reflective in low light, loud colors. Nothing shouts “I’m a covert operative!” like a cat suit.

But I really wish I had one now. At least it wouldn’t snag on every half-screwed bolt I come across in this narrow ventilation shaft. My clothes are dark, close fitting and comfortable no matter how I have to contort myself, but I can’t move more than twenty feet without getting caught on something—like now. If I yank my pants hem free, my knee will hit the metal flashing, feet from my targets’ neighbors making dinner on the other side of the wall. I suck in a silent breath thick with their garlic and ginger.

I’ve made it this far. I’m not about to let one more hitch stop me. 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing! Love your first 150 :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always like to see fiction set in Ottawa. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I like it! I'd buy it in a hearbeat. I hope an agent picks this up.

    Good luck!
    - L (Jane Doe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm unclear about the connection between the scientist and the boyfriend...why in the world would the scientist want to target a harmless guy? IMO, flesh that part of your query out.

    HOWEVER, on the strength of your first 150 words...you have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever premise! Good luck with the pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your 150, great writing. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lumpy Space PrincessSeptember 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM

    My only question is why would Fyodor suddenly target Danny? Other than that, I think you've got a strong query and the voice in the first 150 is great.

    You've got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this entry! Pulled me right in with your first 150, and great writing and voice.

    You have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Wow. Wow. Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments, and thank you, judges, for the votes! Thanks especially for your questions, Revisionist & LSP--I'll be sure to clarify that!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the Canada angle ... I lived there for 11 years, so it's a good, uncommon place to set an espionager. Good luck in GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'