Monday, September 17, 2012

GUTGAA Pitch Contest #41 - Life After Lilies


LIFE AFTER LILIES
WOMEN'S FICTION
70,000

Query:

“Dead is dead,” Dee Adam always used to say. But it turns out to only be the beginning, as death is about to send Dee on the trip of her lifetime.

Dee's surprise at being a ghostly guest at her own funeral turns to shock when she’s suddenly jolted back in time. As she travels aimlessly and undetected, she uncovers life-altering secrets in the pasts of her best friends and family. Secrets that make her question everything she thought she knew, and those she trusted.

Stuck between life and death, Dee is helpless to intervene and must finish the journey she never signed up for. But as her friends and family start to accept life without her, it’s ultimately Dee’s death that teaches her -- and those she loves -- the meaning of life.


First 150 words:

Lilies. I wasn’t sure I could forgive my mother for this.

I can’t believe she ordered the damn lilies.

The most unoriginal funeral flower and they were everywhere: on my coffin, in bouquets at each pew and in a giant wreath that encircled a practically life-sized photo of me with a closed-mouth smile. I didn’t remember the photo being taken and as I peered more closely, I had to admit it looked nothing like me. Aside from the crow’s feet that had appeared the day I turned thirty-five. Was that only five years ago? How depressing this was how I would be remembered: two-dimensional and toothless, immortalized in a lily life preserver.

As best as I could figure, I’d been dead about four days. Breast cancer. I’d been disappointed the grim reaper wasn’t arriving thanks to something more exotic, or at least harder to pronounce. Like lieyosarcoma or malignant meningioma.

13 comments:

  1. Oooh I remember this one from the Pitch Polish & I love the changes you made to the query! Your voice comes across loud & clear in the first 150 and I would love to read more. I hope I get to. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this one from Pitch Polish too. Nice revision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a great job... I can't wait to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fantastic! What a great premise :)

    "immortalized in a lily life preserver." <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't read the first query but this one's dynamite. Good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice voice. Great entry. And I so agree about the lilies! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE her voice! I want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job! I'd love to read more, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read this too! I like the voice and the writing in the first 150 very much. There's humor and really strong characterization. And the query is pitch perfect. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read this!!!! I love the voice of your MC and her sarcasm is wonderful!

    I really hope you make it to the next round :D :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'