Monday, September 17, 2012

GUTGAA Pitch Contest #14 - Reality Riders


REALITY RIDERS
Adult Fantasy
76,000 Words

Query:
 
Twenty-four-year-old Trinity Terencia's days of riding horses and scoping local bands come to an end the minute her best friend, Roxy, reveals that Trinity is the Creator’s only direct descendant and humanity’s protector. No big deal. Yeah, right. Piecing together the information, Trinity starts to see the truth of what she is being told, in turn causing her to question Roxy’s true intentions. 
 
After narrowly escaping death, Trinity-with the help of Sean, an Aire Elemental born of this world-begins a dangerous walk back to where she entered the parched and alien version of our reality.
 
Discovering who her allies really are and making friends with beasts that would just as soon eat her as help her, Trinity has to unlock her memories. Betrayal disguised as help, trapped in another reality, and powers she has no clue how to access and control. Freaking awesome. As if making her mind unlock its mysteries isn’t hard enough, she has to do it wearing leather pants and fighting for a cause she’s uncertain about.
 
First 150 Words:
 
Being twenty-four with no job prospects had been depressing before my best friend, Roxy, talked me into working for her boyfriend until I got a real job. My degree in Professional Communications guaranteed my opportunities would be endless. Yeah, right. 
 
The seizure inducing lights and pyrotechnics from the stage grabbed my attention again. I took a swig of my beer, determined to pay attention and keep my thoughts in the present. Sitting at a table on the edge of the Pit, I had a perfect view of the band, and the crowd’s reaction to them. The music pulsed while scantily clad bodies sweated and gyrated in time to the rhythm, a kind of group dancegasm. 
 
The pungent scent of sweat and leather permeated my body to a cellular level. Ugh. I couldn’t wait to get home and shower. The lead singer jumped up and down like he was trying to put a fire out on the stage.

12 comments:

  1. I totally love the voice in the 150. I love a sassy MC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can perfectly picture this reluctant party girl in the club. Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 150 words grabbed me around your second paragraph, I love when writing can make me picture the scene and feel like I'm there. Great job!! ALso, your last line made me laugh. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. Thank you, Jessica! I hope everyone else likes it as much as you:)

      Delete
  4. This multifaceted reluctant heroine sounds like a lot of fun! Between the subtle western elements and the rock n' roll resilience, Trinity's hero's journey has my curiousity piqued. Best luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! An Alaskan ninja!! I feel like I'm totally legit now :-D

      Delete
  5. LOVE the first 150 - they're coated with awesome voice :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice voice! And LOL @ "dancegasm." I love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Voice in the first 150, the query's a little confusing. I'd definitely ask for sample chapters if I were an agent. :)
    - L (Jane Doe)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the voice, and the fantastic imagery you evoke. :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'