Monday, September 17, 2012

GUTGAA Pitch Contest #12 - Sisters



Title: Sisters
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Word Count: 75,000

Query

Tamsyn and Kat are mostly fae, with just enough human in their genetics to make things complicated. Their mother used to say Tamsyn got all the human genes and that Kat was the wild one who would be safest in faerie. What their mother didn't say was that they'd been bred that way deliberately, to give them a unique ability. 
 
As long as one sister was in faerie and the other in the human plane, they could create a bridge between the two worlds. The fae preserve the anima that sustains all life, and without that connection, humanity would die. The sister’s ability has made them the target of an extremist group of fae that refuse to clean up after the damage caused by modern society and so want to shut down the crossing.
 
Tamsyn has a quiet life in Seattle and does her best to cope with the constant exposure to iron and electricity while keeping her fae nature a secret. She has friends, including one particularly tall and handsome young man. As the older sister, she feels responsible for Kat, who's a little erratic on a good day. When a threatening visit from some strange fae brings out Tamsyn's protective instincts, she gets plunged into Kat's world of rock and roll craziness. 
 
Concern for Kat forces Tamsyn to cross into faerie for the first time, and both sisters begin a journey toward understanding the decisions their parents madeTamysn gets a crash course in faerie life when she and Kat are kidnapped by the extremists. The sisters are made to choose between worlds, and in the end they will have to rely on each other to survive. 

First 150 Words

I’ve heard people say that some events are so significant they divide life cleanly into before and after. Those people aren’t paying attention. When the two men walked into the herbal shop where I worked, I knew it was a marker, a beacon telling me life was going to change. I also knew that their arrival came out of events that had been building for a while.

My sister Kat had been more strung out than normal, which meant I was more worried than normal. She’s like one of the canaries that miners used to bring with them into the mine. When toxic gasses built up, the birds would die and the miners would know they needed to get to the surface. Instead of dying, Kat starts bitching, and I know that something’s up.

The two men who walked through the door of The Apothecaria were fae. I mean, they looked human enough, if a bit taller and blonder and prettier than most human men.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the first two lines, but it feels like your missing one more thought here. Sort of like an equation, without the solution. That being said, you have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of like a fae Taming of the Shrew - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of your story and I love your 150!! Best of luck :) I see you already have a vote, so congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lumpy Space PrincessSeptember 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

    I've read a lot of Fae books, but this one sounds like it might be different. I love that it's about two sisters, and that opening is fantastic.

    You've got my vote.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'