Saturday, August 11, 2012

Yoda Hat



I have a hilarious group of kids in my Art 2 class this semester - smart, fresh, funny, mouthy - it's the renegades and derelicts that I love so much. Anyway - one student, I'll call him Billy, is a bit flamboyant, proudly gay in a not so appreciative environment, and a huge lover of fashion. He also knows he can talk to me about his boyfriends and I won't go all Pentecostal on him.

So he was asking for advice, and I was scratching my head and another student said, "Ms. J.Ro, you only thought you were an art teacher, really you're a therapist."

I said, "Hold on, let me put my Yoda hat on." (theoretically, of course)

Billy squealed and slammed his hands down on the table. His nostrils flared and his eyes practically did cartwheels with shopping excitement. "Shut the Front Door! OMG! There's a YODA HAT?????"

I about snorted my coffee I was laughing so hard. Anyway, today, I decided I needed to make a yoda hat to send to him.

TADA!!!!!! The Yoda Hat.


5 comments:

  1. LOL! Knit one yourself and wear it to school you must.

    And share the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much do I love this post and the accompanying picture?!

    So glad there are teachers like you, students like Billy, and that you guys have such a great rapport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teacher/student rapport can be so special. I love it when teachers can go beyond just presenting their subject matter to touch the students' lives. Not everyone can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I love your pic. And I'm so glad your student can talk to you about being gay. That's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! Thank you for sharing this story. Too funny ;D

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'