Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Why the Dandelion?

So, you may or may not have noticed my new blog and website header.

I purchased this beauty from stock photo and graphics site, Dreamstime. I've thought quite a bit about how I want to "brand" my website and blog. Horses worked for a bit because my last manuscript had quite a bit to do with them (plus I love them). But horses aren't in all of my writing.

So what image would encapsulate what I do? Then it hit me, the dandelion. And here are the reasons why:


  • It's an underdog, a weed, considered less than by the world of fancy lawn growers. In that, it's similar to the types of characters I like to write about. And in all honesty, isn't every teenager a bit of an underdog?
  • It's beautiful. Both in its cheery yellow flower form and in its frothy gone to seed form. It makes people happy (well, maybe not those golf course manicurists). Who hasn't puckered up to send those dandelion parachuters off on an adventure? I hope my stories bring both beauty and adventure to my readers. And I hope, like those little parachuters, my stories will travel far and wide.
  • It's tenacious. Dandelions send down a long tap root, finding permanence in the least likely places. My writing is often about finding true family, whether blood relatives or not. And tenacity is a characteristic every author on the way to publication must have.
So what do you think? Do you like the new header? (Say yes :0))

15 comments:

  1. I really like the new header, Jaye. I have a thing for dandelions. I'm always wishing on them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it's lovely! Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice header and I like your reasoning about your choice. In my garden I hate them. BUT, I've made dandelion wine (years ago) and the flower adds colour to the mix.

    So take a weed and make something nice out of it. That's versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the header! Classy and whimsical, and I love your reasons for choosing it even more... Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, tenacious underdog with a strong spirit and lust for adventure? Hell yeah!

    Oh, and the picture is awesome too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the reasoning behind the choice. Good mental image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dandelions remind me of kids--how they want to pick them, give them to someone they love or admire, and all because they think they're beautiful. For this reason, I love dandelions and, therefore, your header. Truly. And for the wonderful reasons you list too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the new header and your reasons for choosing it. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new header is beautiful. It feels very 'you,' lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful. And don't forget that dandelion greens are edible and nourishing. I believe your stories are, too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everybody! I'm super happy with it. I liked the horse one, too, but it didn't fit as well for overall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do I like it? It's blue! How could I not?

    And it makes me laugh with delight because I've often said, "If only dandelions were BLUE (or lavender, or pink), I'd let them grow." And you have made them blue. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm late to the party, but I love your new header. I'm with Angelina, like your stories, dandelions are meant to be devoured :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blue Dandelions would be great Marcia! And Pat - heart hands :0)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'