Friday, August 24, 2012

Looking for an Agent ? A Blog contest not to miss - GUTGAA

Link

So, my blogging friend, Deana Barnhart, extended an invitation to me to help host for the Gearing Up To Get an Agent Blogfest this September. As someone who has benefited from blog contests, I jumped at the chance. And Deana is amazing - Go check out this incredible schedule!

Blog contests are a great opportunity to get your work out there in a way that's perhaps a little more exciting than the slog of a query inbox. It's also scary, because people will be giving you feedback which may, or may not, jive with how you think of your own work. Is it worth it? That's up to you. If you're terribly tender, then probably not. If you're someone who thrives on constructive criticism, praise, and the chance to improve your writing and pitching skills, then GO FOR IT!

And when you see someone hosting a blog contest - be sure and send them your thanks - find a way to contribute - pay it back - pay it forward - just know they are doing it for free, to build community, and out of the goodness of their hearts. Kay? Kay.

See you in September for #GUTGAA

15 comments:

  1. If there's another contest after this one, put me down for help! I love contests! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I signed up for this one :)
    I've never done one of these before. I'm still waffling on actually posting my work ( I have a pile of fulls out there, but hey, it couldn't hurt to get my work in front of as many eyes a possible...)
    But I also always want to meet more writers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made so many friends in this community through contests - I've also hated putting my work out there every single time! It's terrifying! But I figure, one day, if I get published - it'll be out there in a big way.

      Delete
  3. I'm checking it out now...here I go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And...now that I've visited Deana's site, signed up, am now VERY excited...I had to say THANK YOU for putting this out here today! I didn't know about it, and now I do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Thanks for putting it up, Jaye. *off to spread the word*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely planning on participating! And a big thanks to you and Deana and the others for putting this all together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waffling. I think I have to sleep on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. I love a good blog contest. Although I'm not currently in the market for an agent, I do think that blog contests are a great way to build a platform and get your name out there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog through Deana's. I'm doing the GUTGAA :) I've hosted a few author book launches and that was only a fraction of the work something like this is. I commend you for helping out the writing community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm just a native on this one, Deana's the big chief - what a powerhouse she is!

      Delete
  10. Hi Jaye
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, ( no 152 when i grow up i wanna write a kids book)
    Yes our little Gigi is very cute, we are completely astonished that we managed to produce something so cute. Is it any wonder that I have written an Elf story with such impish inspiration at home. Great to meet you, Julie

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'