Friday, August 17, 2012

Feeling The Love

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the writer's community. You would think with our predilection for being introverts and the need to be so deeply in our own heads, that this type of creativity wouldn't be collaborative.


But. I am here to SHOUT, you would be wrong!
You see, we writers need each other. To bounce ideas of off. To read for each other. To learn from good critiques and bad critiques. To learn to critique by having other writers let us read their work. To recommend books and share tidbits about the publishing world. Only writers understand the deep connection we feel to the story worlds we create. Only other writers understand the woes of the muddling middle and the strangled heap that is a first draft. Only other writers understand the compulsion to change a verb for the fifth or sixth time.

I bet you pick up the used thesaurus you see at the thrift shop. That beautiful illustrated dictionary on your nightstand - a gift greater than gold, right?

But the great thing is, it doesn't end when you move to the professional end of the spectrum. It just gets More collaborative! Because you'll have an agent with input, an editor with input. And eventually you'll have readers who will take your story and make it their own.

So next time you think about the lonely life of a writer - jump online, shout at a friend, read someone else's words, visit a writing forum. Because together, we can create greatness.

Have a super swell weekend.

17 comments:

  1. So glad I met you! You are definitely a primary part of my writing community. Hooray for friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, Jen. Can't wait to see you at the end of September.

      Delete
  2. Extremely well said. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this =D It continually amazes me how many wonderful friendships I've made since coming into the writing community. I don't know what I'd do without you guys. Thanks for being so awesome, Jaye :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really am that writer. You know the one that occupies a dark space somewhere tucked away and hidden. And that's terrific and all, pulling away like that, becoming lost in what you're doing, but when I'm ready to resurface, damn if there isn't some very special people to resurface to. I am always amazed by the incredible generosity and kindness that circles the writing community. We are a lucky bunch indeed!
    Thank you so much for popping over with your congratulations, kind words and reminding me again how lucky we all are! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The words were heartfelt - I really can't wait to read your book.

      Delete
  5. What would I do without my WIPMADNESS crew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the encouraging word. You are so right on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been saying this all along! Though you shouted it beautifully, Jaye!
    It might've been a lonely business back in the day of longhand manuscripts and snail mail, but not in the age of social media. I don't feel at all isolated as a writer, on the contrary. And I love the community! It's an awesome time to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so agree with you. My dad died recently, and I wasn't going to attend the annual, online WriteOnCon conference, but at the last minute I stuck my head in to look around. And I didn't come out until it was over. It was great to interact with other writers and feel I was with my crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God for fellow writers. They get it. They really get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have done more writing than I thought possible since joining the blogging community. Feed back has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. My writing didn't take off until I joined a writing community. Since then, I've never been able to get along without having contact with my writing friends.

    I would still write, but I would also probably keep it all to myself, and I never would have considered submitting to publishers or self-publishing.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'