Saturday, July 28, 2012

Signs You Just Might be Living in the Country

Yesterday, driving home from teaching camp, I came up around the curve of my long crooked road and saw a little cardboard sign. "Lemonade. 25 cents".

At the end of a gravel drive was a tow-headed boy, probably about seven, sitting in a webbed lawn chair, barefooted and shirtless, with a blue tick hound puppy in his lap. Her name was Daisy. Have you ever seen such cuteness? Of course I stopped and got some of the bitterest lemonade ever, but I got to pet the puppy and that was worth way more than a quarter.
Hound dogs + Barefooted Little Boy + Lemonade sign scrawled on a Bud Light box = Country

Later that night, sitting out on the front porch listening to the peepers sing, my neighbor stopped over dragging her new boyfriend or boy friend, which I'm not sure. But said fellow had mixed up a lethal concoction of maraschino cherry juice and moonshine in a styrofoam cup loaded with ice. "Here try a sip and be sure and eat one of 'em cherries." Whoohee!
Front Porch Sitting + Moonshine + Neighbors = Country

Today our riding around in the car we got stopped by a coal train, winked at by deer, drove past a lazy river filled with folks on intertubes out a-loafing and waved at all the neighbors. Once home we found our nearest neighbor had brought our mail down from the hard road and left it on the porch along with some cucumbers.
Loafin' + Pretty Scenery + Wildlife + Garden Veggies = Country


That's how my weekend's shaping up. How 'bout yours?

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect weekend so far! I used to think I grew up in the country, but now I know better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, growing up I lived a half hour outside of Mobile, AL (on the water) and it was country - but this is RURAL. Big difference. Mostly good, some bad. Stereotypes survive for a reason, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. I love the story of the little boy and his lemonade stand. I've always found inspiration in small towns and country life. A lot of my novels take place in Louisiana.

    Your weekend sounds lovely. I haven't done much this weekend except a little critiquing for a CP.

    I hope you have a wonderful Sunday. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so cute. How could I not stop? Just glad I had a quarter in my wallet.

      Delete
  3. Yep, I would say that's country living. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

    I missed dropping by here. Vacation makes me a bad neighbour. Nice to see you again, and this was a great way to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you've had a relaxing summer my Northern cousin!

      Delete
  4. My weekend in the woods has not been nearly as entertaining. ^_^ But you've probably never had a bat circling over your bed or a cougar eating "something" outside your bedroom window, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope to both of those, though we did have a bat loose in the halls at school one day causing an evacuation (rabies carriers) and there are rumors of mountain lions though I've never seen one.

      Delete
  5. I love when friends/neighbors pass along garden goodies! The homemade hooch I usually pass on, tho, some of that stuff, 'whoohee' is right! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had a sip to be polite. I'm more of a wine girl. Though the cherry sure masked the alcohol!

      Delete
  6. Sounds great! ... damn, I miss spending my summers in the country... allthough, "country" in Romania also involves a complete lack of internet. So... I'm afraid to try it! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'