Sunday, May 20, 2012

There's a Horse in the Barn!

Today I was out walking the dog on the road to the neighbor's house. This road runs between my two horse pastures. The horses, all four of them were secure behind their fence. So when I came upon a relatively fresh and relatively large pile of manure in the gravel I was perplexed.


The dog finished what he needed to do and I pondered on the poo some more. Did someone come riding through in the early hours to look at my horses. Weird, but possible. More likely, one of mine got out and sweetie put him or her back in the fence unbeknownst to me. I planned on going straight to the house to ask, but then a little voice said "Go check the barn."

This is what I found.


Nestled in an open stall was my goat, Goat, and this forlorn looking Appaloosa mare in a red halter. All I can figure is Goat took one look at her and said "Hey, pssst, come with me." Turns out she belongs to some new renters over the hill. I fed her carrots, gave her a good grooming, then led her back home.

I hope Goat will forgive me, but don't tell him, I sort of wanted to keep her, too.

21 comments:

  1. Oohh, I love Appaloosas. They're gorgeous! What a fascinating, once-in-a-lifetime story, JRo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made my day anthropomorphizing Goat's voice.

      Delete
  2. What a cute story, Jaye. I had no idea what it was leading to, but the ending sure had me smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun interlude. I looked to see if she'd come back over today when I left for school, but she hadn't.

      Delete
  3. Your Goat sounds like a really great guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goat is a P.I.A. - but he's my P.I.A.

      Delete
  4. The best stories come from real life. I hope your goat isn't too upset :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a new take on bringing home a stray. ;)

    Cute story, Jaye. Glad it had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very proud of himself for making a new friend.

      Delete
  6. I'm stuck on visualizing YOU pondering POO. ^_^
    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I'm going to add another doodle!

      Delete
    2. Funny! Does your dog really like horse poo? I know they like cat poo. . .

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah......it doesn't smell as good on their breath as it does in the barn.

      Delete
    4. LOL. My dog loves horse poop even more than cat--then there are hoof trimmings. Snack foods of the gods, in the dog's mind not mine.

      Love your illustrations, Jaye. Great story and I'm thinking you'll be seeing this visitor again.

      Delete
  7. Hehe! Living in the country is always an adventure :) The illustrations are great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They illustrate the point....great? well, okay, I'll take it.

      Delete
  8. I bet it was tough to take her home. What a beauty of a thing to find in your barn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it was like my eight year old fantasy come true.

      Delete
  9. Haha! I love that your goat's name is goat. And do all dogs LOVE golden apples???

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'