Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A-Z Challenge - U is for Uncanny Resemblance

Along with being a skunk spray magnet, Bosco is a natural poser.
I swear, I didn't pose this. He sat next to the little sculpture on the front porch then when I pulled out the camera -- perfect. We have four dogs, but this dude is a charmer.

What does this have to do with Appalachia? Not much, except Bosco is an Appalachian Love Hound. They are a rare breed, often found at about 10 months old running down the highway in the rain. Sometimes, they carry shrapnel like a BB buried deep inside, only discovered during an X-ray for something else. They are sweet, and kind, and loyal. This version is a combination of Boxer, Shepherd, and perhaps Black and Tan Coonhound. We hope they are long-lived. At nine, he's getting up there for a big boy.

Fortunately, the number of strays in the area has decreased radically since I moved here. Spay and neuter grants and organizations are doing a great job at helping folks get pets fixed. Thus, cutting down on unwanted litters. Plus one of our local human societies coordinates with a shelter in Rhode Island and many awesome Appalachian Love Hounds find their way north, where spay and neuter laws are in place.

Do you have a love hound in your life?

17 comments:

  1. Great picture. We had what I call a "celestial" job years ago. She was a Poodle/Schnauzer mix and had the best personality. Found her at the Humane Society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh we certainly do have a love hound and he truly is the center of our lives...Hurricane! it doesn't get any better than our beloved pets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty boy! I'm glad to hear the number of strays is decreasing...one at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, my love hound is pictured here with me in my profile. He brings smiles, love, and laughter in a way people do not and cannot (and are not designed to). That's the beauty of dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My love "hound" is of the feline variety, but is also a mutt and a rescue. And very much a charmer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking hound! I've always been a dog-lover, since childhood. Mine's a brat, but I still love him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have lost two love hounds in the past several months
    Yours is priceless

    we are over at Ladys Knight with A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture is awesome!

    What a great hound!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No Love Hound in my yard, but I do have a Georgia Sooner Cat. My children spotted her behind a newspaper box at a local convenience store when she was a kitten. The sooner they named her, the more likely we were to keep her.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many years ago, we had a beagle we named "Tuffy". He was a sweet loyal dog, and so gentle.

    Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someday I hope we have a dog. They seem like great pets, so long as they're trained right.


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I used to live in Tennessee I always "adopted" stray dogs that would visit my house and start staying there in the yard. On the other hand, maybe it was they who adopted me.

    Lee
    Weird, weird, weird…
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a female Siberian Husky and a male Alaskan Malamute, both sled dogs who love to sing and chatter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm getting my first dog in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Appalachian love hound - what a neat name! We love mixed breed dogs - we adopted a rottie-lab mix.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He sure looks like a charmer. See, I knew I liked you. Anyone who has room in their heart for a dog is ok with me.

    I've got my Lab Ginger, and she's got me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of an Appalachian Love Hound. Great name!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'