Monday, April 16, 2012

A-Z Challenge - N is for Not From Here's

When an isolated area opens up to tourism and people looking for a different life, or a swank vacation home, it inevitably causes some strife. Appalachia is no different. The Been Here's are multi-generational, their families shook hands over property lines, they've roamed on each others land. Then when the Not From Here's move in, the No Trespassing signs start popping up. People get testy.

So when I had this conversation with a neighbor, I knew I'd arrived.

We were hanging out at her trailer, talking about this ultra-fancy golf resort/neighborhood up on a hill outside of town. She went into a rant about how people were moving in, driving up real estate prices, and just generally causing a nuisance for the Been Here's. Then she stopped. Her mouth dropped. She waved her hand no and said:

"No I wasn't talking about you'uns. You'uns act more like old-timers than some old-timers. You raise stock, put in a garden, you live like us."

I've never received a compliment I liked more.

Local singer/songwriter, Chuck Brodsky, did a great song about this very issue and I'll share it with you here. And if you like baseball, check out his baseball ballads CD, it's a winner.



So where you live is there a divide between locals and non-locals?

10 comments:

  1. Funny. Here we call them "come-from-aways. There's not really a divide because I think most people come here to live the laid back life. It does make for some funny situations though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, this stuff is so crazy to learn about. It's just so different from my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outsiders. Foreigners. Uppity-tourists. Heard them all. I was a foreigner for three years in Ireland, but they were kind to me anyway. I was more of an oddity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched the video. So true. The slow destruction of the small rural town by the 'come heres" is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where I live there is definitely a divide. Most people live their whole lives here, as their parents and grandparents did. So anyone new, even if they live here 20 years, is still an outsider, in many ways. And the culture is fairly monotonous, so if you're a newcomer with different values, you're never getting in :)

    Where I come from there isn't that sense at all, other than the divide between Northern and Southern California.

    Like Susan, when I lived in Ireland I was an oddity, and they were kind to me, although sometimes it was like they feel sorry for Americans. HA :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man...I know exactly of what you speak and I'd say you have arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it seems you are one of them now!!

    I like growing stuff, but the raising stock - I don't know about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're enjoying the bands I've been sharing. I like the song, he tells a good story with his music.

    Hope you are enjoying the challenge.

    Andrina
    A MIND*S EYE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I work in a very small county, and I certainly notice the divide among my middle school students. Whenever a new student arrives, they have to "earn" their place in one of the cliques.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not really sure if I have the answer to your question. I suppose so but I live in Mexico and I really have no idea what people are thinking or saying or if the same rules apply.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'