Friday, April 13, 2012

A-Z Challenge - L is for Least'uns, Loafin', and Loafer's Glory


What I would give to be able to loaf my days away. Loafers Glory would be a good place to do it. Pretty scenery, a mountain river, the gentle chunk-a-chunk of the passing coal train.

You say you're not familiar with the term loafin'?  Well, this falls back to those Scotch-Irish roots of the Appalachian mountains and a language steeped in Old English and Southern vernacular. If you're just chilling out, relaxing, not working hard like you're supposed to, you're loafin'. Mountain folks are hard-working people. So when you ask someone what they're doing and they answer, "Why I ain't doing much but loafin'." It's usually said with a wry smile and a wink.

Sometimes it's the oldest in the family that's the loafer and sometimes it's the least'in (least one). What the heck is the least one, you say? Why it's the youngest child, the littlest one, the least one. The first time I heard this term, I was clueless.

"The what?" I asked.
"Why, the least'in."
"The who?" I asked.
"The least'in, the baby of the family."
"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh." And I finally got it.

Where's your favorite place to loaf? And are  you the least'in in your family?


15 comments:

  1. I love hearing a train go by.

    My favorite place to loaf--reading by the water. Though my couch is pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit it, I've been loafin' for a few months now :) And it's Glorious!! But, being the oldest in my family, I've pretty much never had time to loaf around much, so it's a much-needed break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not the least'un, but I do love some good loafin'. The beach, probably, is my favorite place to loaf. Or at home on the couch. That's a wicked-cool loafin' local too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. My dad used this word. :) The easy chair in my bedroom.

    2. Nope, the least'in's my sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very familiar with loafing around - I even have a sofa called the Loafin' Sofin just for that purpose. But the "least 'un" - it's sort of sweet, but also a little sad - hopefully it doesn't imply to the youngest kid that they matter least!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a word I'm familiar with. And define "loafin'" If I had my druthers I'd be doing with in from of my computer monitor, writing. But is that loafin'? =D Some might say it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite place to loaf is back home in the Mississippi Delta...'cause they ain't doing nothin' there but loafin'.

    No, I'm not the least'un in my family...but I'm next to the knee-baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post...I must admit, I am the least'un in my family out of 5 chilin' and I'm with Ophelia, I want to do some loafin' at the beach; Emerald Isle preferably!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loafin' is a familiar word in my childhood. It was considered an insult to most people.

    I am the middle child, the oldest girl. That makes me an over-achiever and well-skilled in kitchen and cannin'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems as if none of us has an issue with loafin' - that's what I'm doing today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to loaf like a cat: anywhere it's sunny and warm. As an oldest, I loaf far less than I would like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a Loafers Glory in North Carolina? I never knew.
    I admit - I loaf best on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm the least'un and the first'un. I like to loaf in the woods. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My A-Zs are at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the least'in and the oldest. And I could pretty much loaf anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it should be obvious that my favorite place to loaf is in front of my laptop! This reminds me of the Brian Regan comedy bit about loitering. Funny!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'