Thursday, April 12, 2012

A-Z Challenge - K is for Kerosene (or how not to act like you're from NYC)

Todays tale is one borrowed from a friend, but it's a good example of when you move into a place it's best to get the lay of the land before acting out of turn.
Most houses around here are heated with kerosene. These tanks are filled by big gas trucks that beep up the driveway.

So my friend, we'll call her Curly, was originally from Virginia. A larger city in Virginia but still south of the Mason-Dixon line. Curly moved to New York City fresh out of college and struggled to lose her Southern gentility and circular way of getting to what she needed. In New York, she found her voice and learned how to go straight for something and let her needs be known.  Fast forward to her move to Appalachia.

Curly got settled into her new home and realized she needed fuel and fast because a cold snap was coming. She called the fuel company to find out when they could deliver.

"It'll be a day or two afore we can get out there."

"A day or two?" Curly asked.

"Yep."

"I need that fuel today," Curly said, practicing her newly found New York assertiveness. "Any later is just not good enough."

Two weeks later her fuel showed up.

The pace of life in Appalachia is way different than cities. I remember going to get my oil changed shortly after I'd moved here from Atlanta. It was close to noon and I walked in, the bell ringing. A voice called down from the loft. "Hello there. We're up here eating our dinner. Could you come back in an hour?" I was amazed. Unheard of in Atlanta, because of the competition. You took your customers when they came not when it suited you.

Over time, I've learned to love the pace of the mountains. I think I'd find myself hard-pressed to move back to the hustle and madness of a big city. Waiting in lines? I don't think so. Traffic? No way.

What about you? City mouse or country mouse?

16 comments:

  1. Although I grew up smack-dab in the middle of a big city, I've become a country girl through and through. Nope, no more traffic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I like the efficiency of a city and the open spaces of the country. Might be why I live on the very edge of town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a whole different world than the one I live in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So intriguing. My parents grew up in a tiny town that I grew up visiting. Now, I live in a city and love it, but I could love country living too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely a city mouse. I like my cheese to eb delivered on time (preferably on a pizza).

    new follower,
    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually I think a small college town might be the best of both worlds - bright minds, places to eat, drink, shop, but country on the outskirts. Sometimes I wish I was about thirty minutes closer to Asheville.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter moved to Hawaii over two years ago, and she's found that she likes the slower pace--most of the time. Not when they're driving 10 miles below the speed limit or filling a prescription for a sick kid, though. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a "just outside the city" gal too. Close enough to get into a Big Major City in about 90 minutes, far enough away that we have no streetlights or sidewalks out here.
    Nice.
    I like the slower pace, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds wonderful. Reminds me of New Zealand. Out in the quiet parts they just do what they do without worrying about getting ahead in life or keeping up with the Joneses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a country mouse living in the city. "Make do" was the way I was raised.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been a city girl most of my life, but I've also spent summers in the more rural areas of the Philippines:)--so i can relate.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Just A-Zing around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting...I'm more of a rural girl but I think the pace of the mountains might drive me nuts! great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I prefer the convenience of city life, but like to escape to the country too (although not for long periods of time - and not in the middle of winter either!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that would drive me crazy! Clearly, I am not cut out for a life in the mountains.

    Sonia Lal, A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm both. I spend half my week in the city (Brisbane, capital of Queensland) and the rest at Peregian Beach, 100k north. Best of both worlds.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'