Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A-Z Challenge - J is for Jars and Jugs

Now get your mind out of the gutter. I'm not talking about those kind of jugs. I'm talking about these kind of jugs. Moonshine jugs.

The fellow in this photograph is none other than Popcorn Sutton, probably the most famous and flagrant moonshiner around these parts. Though Tennessee was his home, he lived just close enough that we claim him, too. 

It's only been within the last five years that our county legally sold alcohol. If I wanted a glass of wine, I'd have to drive a minimum of a half hour to get it.
My thoughts exactly, Popcorn!

So the locals were ingenious. People became modern day moonshiners. Certain garages around town held makeshift beer stores. For an inflated fee, it was possible to get cases of cheap American beer and worse wine. Liquor, well it was still made Popcorn's way. As you can imagine, the sheriff's office was none to happy about legal liquor. Why let the state get the tax revenue when it could all come under the table?

Like I said, customs changing, ways of life dying out. Now beer-making is an artform and liquor comes from the ABC store. And I am so happy I can pick up a bottle of Malbec at the grocery store.

What's your favorite beverage? Ever tried good old Mountain Dew (and I don't mean the kind made by Pepsi-Co.)?

16 comments:

  1. Within the last five years? Really. Wow, is all I can say there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting living in MS watching the laws change as to what kinds of beer could be sold in different counties and what couldn't be sold at all.

    Good ole moonshine. Only tried the stuff once and I can't say I enjoyed it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't care for moonshine. But homemade apple brandy is pretty delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He reminds me of most of the men in my grandpa's past. Great post! Despite my hillbilly heritage, I've never tried moonshine...must add that to the bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the pics of Mr. Popcorn. We had grain alcohol in college that someone brought from "back home" - is that like moonshine? No flavor but quite a punch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard bad things about moonshine, growing up in the South. One of my uncles, a Sheriff, used to find and destroy stills (a revenuer, I think they called him).

    I did like 'Thunder Road' by Mitchum, though.

    Enjoyed your post! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to say, am now following. I like the subjects you've chosen for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I like Popcorn already. Too funny. My favorite beverage is tea, and I won't get arrested for brewing it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL - great post with fantastic pics.
    I was upset when I moved to NY that you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays (they have since changed the laws) but I always forgot and got in trouble when I tried to grab beer at the market. oopsie.
    Never tried moonshine or that form of mountain dew. I always think of the movie Better off Dead when Ricky's mom drinks paint thinner and says it is almost like what her husband used to make...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Jaye! Popcorn looks like a lot of fun!! My favorite drink is water. Not the flavored kind, ick, just the good 'ol regular kind. I know, boooring, LoL. But I love it! It's so refreshing and always quenches my thirst. I also like apple juice, orange juice, lemonade, and hot chocolate, but I mostly drink water!

    Hope you're having a great week and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pictures are awesome. What a guy! I've never tasted moonshine. I'm a little afraid it'll make my tongue go numb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My uncle makes his own wine and beer. His berry beer was the best I'd ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to a blog that actually talked about the different kind of jugs.

    We have a bar down the street that sells different moonshines. It's gotten hip here. Too strong for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOve these photos - that man has a face for photos, paintings, prison photos - just kidding! But I would love to photograph him. Great post.
    Leigh @ http://oneandoneequalstwinfun.com
    A to Z challenge #885

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you're interested, I recommend following through on Popcorn's link and read his obit. He was quite the character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear. I have a glass of wine every evening (it helps with the writing process, dontcha know!), so I would have had a rough time in a dry county.

    I got a beer making kit for Christmas one year and had a lot of fun with it. And the beer was actually quite tasty.

    Wishing you continued success with the A to Z challenge,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'