Friday, April 6, 2012

A--Z Challenge - F is for Fiddlers and Family Tradition

One of the things that makes this region truly unique is its heritage of old-timey music. I remember one day while out riding my horse, I heard music. On a porch was a whole family playing together and making sweet music. Family bluegrass bands are multi-generational and multi-instrumental. They've also been around for a long time.



And since fiddling is better heard than talked about, I give you this video on Red Wilson, a North Carolina legend from round about these parts. He sure does make sweet music.



Are you an old-timey music fan, or not?

10 comments:

  1. I am not sure I am a fan of old-timey music but I do love the fiddle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm a fan! I saw Ralph Stanley perform a few years ago and it was great. One of my neighbors plays the banjo, but I've yet to hear anyone pull out a fiddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan. I love music that speaks of a culture, especially when it is handed down from generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I'm a fan. I love all music :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I don't listen to it often, but I would love taking a walk and coming across a family playing their own music on their front porch. That is so cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes! I love the old-timey music. It sets my feet tapping, and hands clapping. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the old photo you used. Very cool! I just got into blue grass a few years ago- its fun to dance to!
    From A to Z challenge #915
    Leigh @oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not, but I enjoy the sounds of a fiddle and banjo from time to time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes yes on the old timey music! On my hubby's side of the family there is an old guitar, fiddle and banjo that used to come out at all the fam get togethers--what memories. My sis in law has the fiddle and my niece is learning to play-no one seems to know where the others are..oh, there was a harmonica too. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'