Thursday, April 5, 2012

A-Z Challenge - E is for Eggs (Fresh from the Farm)

One of my favorite yard sale finds - $5 for a folk art rooster with nails used as feather patterns

Okay. True story of a couple of city folk. Not long after moving here my significant other asked me, "Do you need a rooster to have chicken eggs?"

It took a couple of head scratching minutes before I had a blinding moment of enlightenment. "Um, I don't think so. Women have eggs. We only need a rooster if we want children. So maybe you only need a rooster if you want chicks."
Something about having real chickens makes you buy cool chicken art

So we bought our first batch of chicks from the feed store and lo and behold, even though it was supposedly a straight run of chicks (all sexed as hens) who ended up with the cutest little banty rooster named Boots. Poor handsome Boots fell victim to a fox (we think) and now we're down to just five hens.  Three Rhode Island Red/Buff Orphington crosses, one Dominickeer, and one Barred Partridge. They're good girls and even though two are getting up in hen years, we still get fresh eggs. Once you've experienced backyard eggs, you'll never want to go back. (Though sometimes in the winter, we're forced to when the girls are just too dang cold to lay)

So, here's your question. The above bowl contains fresh from the hen house eggs and grocery store organic/free range eggs. Which are which? 

21 comments:

  1. There is nothing to beat fresh eggs from you own hens and I would bet that the beautiful dark orange yolks on the left are from your hens.

    Now I'm just in the mood for eggs for breakfast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... that's tricky! I love fresh eggs. My parents usually end up with either too many eggs from their chickens or too few. At the moment, they're swimming in goose eggs. But I'll guess for the three lighter colored ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wnated to have hens. I couldn't talk my parents into it when we were younger, probably because they grew up with them. :)

    I'm guessing the darker coloured yolks are from your own backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guessing the pale ones are from the store - they're not as fresh and vibrant as the other yolks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fresh from your own hen eggs are more intense in their egginess. That's the only way I've been able to describe it to people. Other than yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard the brighter ones (on the left) are fresh. I try to get fresh ones at the farmer's market when they're available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard the fresher the egg the easier it will peel (when hard boiled.) Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lighter colored ones look like the ones I get from the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Without a doubt the darker eggs! Yummy and so sad about your little rooster:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep waffling on the backyard chicken idea: your post is pushing me towards yes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We bartered for free range eggs from a neighbor; we traded home churned butter. Oh, there is no comparison--rich orange yellow eggs are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan - home churned butter - yum! I've always thought it would be fun to have a Jersey cow like Elsie for milk/cheese/butter. Just a lot of work.

    Jen - Do it! The chickens are great!

    Deana - Yes, I still miss Boots.

    Julie - I'm not sure?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The darker ones are the backyard ones! Am I right? That nail rooster is da bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! A test! No fair! I don't think I've EVER had fresh eggs, so I don't know! #fail

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute story!! Since the darkness of the yolk relates to the feed, I'll go with the darker yolks as you probably buy better feed than the commercial folks. When we lived in Kenya, chicken feed came from a plant that used bones from a fishery. The yolks were almost white, smelled like fish and were, to me, a total disaster. Yuck! (My former neighbor tells me the factory shut down and hens are fed expected feed with yolks looking like yolks - but darker than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm...now I want an omelet. With bacon. :D


    My E

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great "E" post for the challenge.... and now I want breakfast for dinner!

    And I love your "finds" - very cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sister recently started raising hens. She has five, and she's attached to each one of them. They have names like Frenchie and Coco.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, those deep golden yolks are the hen-house eggs. I have a friend who gives me some every now and then. And also tells chicken tales. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. dark yolk, lol. I remember first time this city girl saw them. I asked my husband it they were fresh!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'