Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hunger Games Madness in WNC

It's here, finally here. The book that started slowly burning a few years ago is now a full-fledged inferno and western North Carolina is at the center of the maelstrom.  At my school, we have a few extras in the film, including this student standing to the left of Gale in the reaping scene. (Hey, Jake!)

Around school you find students frantically doing this:

So that they can go to this:

In Asheville, there's a ton of buzz in the papers and blogosphere. Here's a link to all the information.

Rumor has it that the 12-plex is devoting 8 of its screening rooms to The Hunger Games on Thursday night at midnight. Here's a quote from Ashevillenetwork.net:

Charlotte and Asheville are both going to be privy to special screenings for the movie, as both cities were host to scenes in the movie. There will be midnight showings and some invitation only screenings. There will be an invite only show at the Biltmore Grand Stadium 15 (one of the nicest movie theaters in the area) and Fandango has been selling out tickets to all the surrounding theaters. Over six theaters have been sold out, leaving only one theater with seats still available.

So, did you love it or leave it? Seeing the movie? Opening weekend? My plans are to see it on Saturday and personally, I can't wait. I raced through all three books during the snowy winter of 2011 and have since reread the first book. They're just. so. good.




14 comments:

  1. Love it! Wonderful writing!!! But I won't see the movie until the buzz dies down. I'm not that die hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Angela on this one. I'll probably not watch the movie until the buzz dies down. I did this with The Help--read the book, loved it, but still haven't watched the movie. Don't quite know what I'm waiting for... Guess I'm just quirky like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping with so many theaters showing it, that Saturday won't be sardine packed at the theaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, to be a 14 year old girl again.

    Actually, I have no idea what it feels like to be a 14 year old girl. Also, The Hunger Games has caught me by surprise. The US is going so crazy for this movie that even UK kids are now taking an interest in it.

    I, myself, will be watching 21 Jump Street instead, only because there's nothing else on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MOMM - It's been a while since I was a 14 y.o. girl but I'm around them all day long. Interesting enough, the boys are pretty into it, too. I think it snags our American-pioneer-we-can-rough-it-in-the-wilderness mentality. But instead of slaying Native Americans, it's kids slaying bad kids and bad politicians. Twisted. I know.

    Peaches, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to wait a week or two... I think it might be too packed otherwise! But then I will be jealous of everyone who has seen it already. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HaHa, you can always spot an extra in a film. They're the ones with that 1000 yard stare, soaking in the thrill of being in a movie.

    I am planning to see 'Hunger Games' but will wait for the stampede to the theaters to die down before I risk being run over by rabid fans.

    After a viewing, I will get around to reading the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is SO cool that you know some of the extras in the film! And how fun to see the movie on a field trip :D

    I'll be camping on opening weekend, so we'll probably see it the week after. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. agree - just love the first two books! Really can't wait to go see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Elizabeth, @Julie @Jeremy - Usually I wait, but there's just too much excitement around here and I want to be part of the ride!

    @Terry - guess you'll be a first weekender? And read book 3!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really just too cool that some of the kids you know were extras! So fun. I'm totally jealous of everyone getting to go see the movie this weekend. Makes me want to come home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at all the buzz! I hope the movie lives up to the hype.

    I'll see it after the crowds calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh, a NC writer. Hi, I'm misplaced right now in CA. I found you from Ilima Todd's blog. (she's my CP) I miss the green hills the most. No wonder I enjoyed this movie so much. I didn't realize it was filmed in NC:)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'