Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fah-git-a-bout-it!! (Yeah, right)

So this is a break from my normal High School Tuesday post.  The reason is simple.

I'M ON SUBMISSION!!!!!

And though I should take my own advice and forget about it, I'm finding it to be nigh unto impossible.  It's like this wormy anxiety that's living just under the surface of my skin.  I try to ignore it, but it's like a constant bleep or brain worm or a tic.

Friends ask me, "Aren't you nervous?"  And no, nervous isn't really the right word, because I'm still so completely flabbergasted that I'm at this point.  Sometimes I just giggle at the surrealness of it all.  Me, an agent?  Me, completed manuscripts?  Me, on submission? That in itself, ladies and gentlemen, is akin to winning the lottery these days.

And then I remember, "Uh, lady, lest you forget you sat butt in chair every morning for a good year and a half - religiously - no breaks for good behavior."  Right.  I did work hard.  And for years before that I stuck my toes in and out of the water before I finally committed 100% to this writing thing.

But like that kid I was who would tear away the corner of the Christmas wrapping so I would KNOW what I was receiving (hi mom :0)), now I'm an adult who can't stand to wait.  And this waiting is killing me!  What's more, I really, really want to know if I get to keep writing about the world and characters I created in this novel.  Because my real hope is, this book will lead to two more.

So fingers and toes crossed, good karma thrown to the wind, whispers, dreams, luck, and maybe a smidge of magic that my horsegirl and her horse will live to see readers.

In the meantime, I'm going to try and forget about it by working on something completely different.

And you, how do you deal with the waiting game of the kidlit world?


9 comments:

  1. That's really exciting! Good luck with everything!
    I haven't queried at all, and my life outside of writing is so busy (and without anything as awesome as yours) so for right now, I don't wait much. But I'm sure when I'm in your shoes I'll be just as nervous! Probably have a marathon of Gilmore Girls or something to take my mind off of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenna - It is an exciting time, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super excited for you, and can't wait to celebrate your good news!!! Waiting is the worst though--sending you good thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're so confident for me Meradeth! The longer the wait the shakier I get. Silly writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am wishing you nothing but INCREDIBLE thoughts on a QUICK and PROFITABLE sale!! My fingers and toes are crossed for you as well.

    Oh my gosh, and I'm so glad you liked your crow post. I liked it so much I just HAD to bump it up before the bear attack one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully it won't take long, but just in case, grab a comfy chair. My friend's been on sub since October 2010. Good luck to ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. October 2010 - OMG - I think I would die! But I do know those stories exist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you!!

    I'm the worst waiter in the world. I hate it more than anything because you can't DO anything to make things happen. So, I guess I get wrapped up in something else, or I try to.

    Luck to you. I hope your new project can take your mind off the waiting game! <3
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lora, I've been struggling with the new book - such a different voice and theme. But it's good to have something to work on while I wait.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'