Sunday, November 20, 2011

Bittersweet Days

My son is graduating from high school this year.  He didn't become my son until he was ten, so there were always lots of unknowns.

Like, what will happen as he grows up?

I'm so proud of him.  He's just been brave and awesome and full of perseverance.

Yesterday we went on our first college tour.  Yes, college.  I can't say I ever knew for sure it would happen.  But he's been accepted, and what's more, he has a soccer tryout with the coach on Monday for a goalkeeper spot on the team.  And the college is close enough I could go see his home games.

This kid lives for his team.  Lives for the sport.  He was so depressed after his final senior game.  If he makes it, gets a spot on the college team, I feel confident he will not only graduate from high school, but also from college.  Wow.

And then it makes me sad.  He'll be gone.  The last chicken flown the coop.  As hard as parenting has been, it seems harder to think of not parenting again.

Maybe I should adopt another one. (Just kidding)

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet post :) Good luck to your son on his tryouts, and my best to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for him. I think he's pretty good, but then I'm biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the exact same boat. My son is off to college in the fall. We spent half the summer touring colleges in California. And the last 6 weeks have been a whirlwind of applications and essays to 14 schools in the west. We'll have December off but as soon as January 1st rolls around, it's FAFSA time and getting those financial aid packages organized. It never ends. Or at least, I wish it never would. Once he leaves, it'll be very quiet around here.

    Good luck to your son and soccer and college. It's a big scary step. And that's just for us parents!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'