Sunday, October 30, 2011

Saturday Ramblings (on Sunday)

This week has been a day behind kind of week.  And a week when I realized there's no way I can blog more than twice a week.  So High School Tuesdays now are going to an every other Tuesday format and starting this Thursday, I'll unveil "Memories of High School You" interviews with blogosphere writer friends.  It should be fun!

I finished revisions on Marks of a Horseman, my future-past-post-apocolyptic-fantasy-horse-girl-adventure mash up.  It's sent on to beta readers with the hopes of quickly sending it on to my agent.  Some of you may remember me writing about the fact that I was working on something, eek, commercial.  Well, this is it.  I'm having a little bit of trouble not getting exciting for the what if's - definitely some dreaming involved.

I also spent the week reading Chime - recommended for its voice and world building.  It's one of the first books I haven't finished all the way through in a long time.  I put it on the list to the left because I did manage to get almost all the way to the end, then skimmed to uncover what happened.  It's not that I didn't like it.  I did.  Franny Billingsley's use of language is exquisite - but it's not a snappy read.  I found I had to work at it.  Maybe because I wanted to taste every morsel, but like a too rich piece of cake, sometimes you just can't eat the last few bites.  There are sentences I had to reread and savor.  But the story got lost sometimes in the gurgle and slurp of her swamp.  Maybe it's my lack of sophistication, but I think, like my preference for clean-lined clothing and sturdy cars, the frills of those adjectives took me out of the action.  Funny how genius is not always where you want to hang out.  And I do think the book is genius - just not my total cup of tea.  I'm washing it down with a reread of The Hunger Games.

What about you?  How do you react when a book doesn't live up the expectations you've been led to believe?  Do you finish it - all the way to the bitter end?

Please stop back on Thursday when I will unveil my "Memories of High School You" interviews.  The first interview will be with one of my #wipmadness partners from Twitter:  Lori Parker.

Have a fabulous writing week!


1 comment:

  1. Big congrats on finishing MOH! Fingers crossed your agent loves it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'