Saturday, September 17, 2011

Talking with Teens about books.

What a lucky week.

One of our students decided to start a literary club for his senior project, so I decided to check it out, let him know of my "secret" life outside of being an art teacher and see if I could lend a hand. I hadn't planned on staying, but did. And it was so much fun.

3 teen girls, 1 teen guy, myself and our guidance counselor sharing our love of literature. Twilight was discussed, as were the Hunger Games Trilogy - unanimous yes by all to the latter. But then we talked about why we loved young adult fiction. Fast plots, raw emotions, and storytelling were all mentioned. And in a nod to the currently maligned contemporary genre, each kid said they really liked the opportunity to look inside someone else's life. Someone who might not be just like them.

Later in the week I asked another student, why the post-apocolypse was so compelling to young people, besides the obvious media hype of Mayan calendars, Revelations and movies like 2012. His answer was, "Sometimes I think Americans are really cocky. Some kind of catastrophe would make us all equals again. It would make things fair."

I've already decided that I'm going to help keep this club alive even after our fearless senior leader graduates. It's just too cool. And I feel so honored they want me to be a part of it. And I look forward to sharing the insights I gain from these readers. Our readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'