Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ice Cream versus Exercise or why Revision is so Hard.

Okay, I admit it. I adore first drafts. I love the free fall of words on the page and getting to know my characters. I love the crazy and surprising places my stories take me. I could write draft after draft after draft and have oodles of folders in my Writing Folder with names like Cool Story and This is The One and Next Great Thing.

Writing first drafts is like digging into a heaping pint of Ben & Jerry's rich butterfat ice cream - so good in the moment, but often causing a mess afterwards.

And that's where the dreaded revision (aka exercise) comes in. Time to trim the fat. Not to complain, at all, about being agented but as they say in the south -- It's time for the shit to hit the fan. It means, this lover of drafting, hater of revision, has to spend the next few months revising and I am not allowed to write any new stories until I have the two manuscripts my agent is waiting to shop, in tip-top shape.

I guess in the meantime, I better eat a whole lot of ice cream. Oh wait, I mean, hit the treadmill!

2 comments:

  1. Such a great way to put it, really. Truly brilliant! I've trimmed plenty O' fat off my novels, but in the end it's worth it. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I feel the same way, girl! Love the writing, detest the rest. I'm in the middle of revisions and haven't allowed myself to write anything new for so long that I'm beginning to get the shakes. Hope you come through on the other side soon! Wouldn't want to keep those voices waiting too long, now, would we? *grins*

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'