Saturday, July 30, 2011

The End of Summer and How I Write During the School Year.

I know, I know - you're thinking -- "Wait? It's only July 30th, summer's not over."

But for me, in my current life of part-time writer, full-time teacher it is the sad, sad truth. Every Saturday from now till next June will be relished for its no-alarm-clock properties and the ability to have more than stolen moments with my manuscripts. Next Thursday, August 4th, is my first official teacher workday with students arriving August 9th.

Don't get me wrong. I love my job. I really love the kids. Obviously, I write for them. But it sure does put a damper on word count and blogging time.

So you ask, "How do you do it?" The simple answer is coffee. Hook up the I.V., slap the vein, plug her in. Because that alarm clock goes off at 5:00 a.m.. I do a five minute snooze, then I shuffle zombie style to the kitchen, stepping over various dogs, cats, and things left on the floor till I reach the nectar of alertness. With coffee cup in hand, I shuffle back to my computer and write until 6:00 a.m. Most days, I'm able to get in between 500-750 words, some days more, but if I'm consistent and write four mornings during the week and both weekend days (when I shoot for 1.2K) that adds up to a minimum of 4.5k per week or 18K per month. I'm like that proverbial tortoise in Aesop's fable.

Drafting happens in the morning when I'm in that hitherland state - revisions I can do at night when I really need to think.

What about you, how do you get it done, are you the tortoise or the hare?

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your upcoming school year... I can't believe how early the students are starting back this year! And I'm definitely impressed by your ability to get up early and work on your manuscript. I'm the hare, unfortunately... Bursts of inspiration followed by long periods of napping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LisaAnn, I admire those who can write insanely for long hours at a time. I just am pretty much done after 2 or 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's early. I can do it IF I have to, but I am not an early riser. I'm sure your diligence pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have good self-discipline, much more than myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great discipline. I can't ever keep goals like that. Good luck!

    Also, I've given you an award at: http://laurabwriter.blogspot.com/2011/08/tooting-and-passing.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'