Saturday, July 30, 2011
Monday, July 25, 2011
Thanks everybody but I went ahead and took the snippet down - I had great feedback but was starting to feel like my waters were getting muddied. It's the double-edged sword of having piles of readers!! But I TRULY appreciate each of you who took the time to read and comment. You're the best.
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Record heat waves around the country are cooler in the Appalachians, but, hey, I don't have air conditioning, so even high 80's is torture.
Friday, July 22, 2011
Friday, July 15, 2011
A critique partner of mine refers to the doubts that plague writers as The Head Monkeys. I laugh at this phrase. It brings up memories of the Wizard of Oz and those little actors dressed up in monkey suits.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Sunday, July 10, 2011
- Lots of beginner writer mistakes
- Falsely self-confident
- Can't write a query to save my soul
- Yay, I'm getting query rejections so I'm a real writer
- Wow, I'm getting partial requests so now I'm really a real writer and I can write a query!
- Holy cowabunga, I'm sending out a full! Could I, would I, should I, oh please.......
Thursday, July 7, 2011
So - when you see query replies in your mail box. How many of you automatically just say
- "Ah, it's a rejection. Whatever."
- "Oh, where is my significant other, I can't look at this alone."
- "This is the one, I know it's the one, I can feel it in my bones."
- "Somebody bring me the vodka!"
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
One of the characters is deaf and I can't wait to write him. I love dialogue. Dialogue is one of my strengths, yet I am giving myself a character who will not use words to communicate. This guy is a nod to my first cousin, who is deaf in real life and I feel blessed every day that I had the great fortune to grow up with him. In the next chapter I write he comes to life and I cannot wait for the challenge.
The other character is the deaf boy's father and he is a hoot. He's a collector. Of things, words, dogs, and people. He's crusty and gnarly and missing teeth, but I am totally in love with this guy.
So here's the question - WHAT MAKES YOU FALL COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH ONE OF YOUR CHARACTERS? IS IT THEIR BEHAVIOR, THEIR HABITS, THE CHALLENGE OF WRITING THEM? DO THEY COME TO YOU IN YOUR DREAMS AND WHISPER THEMSELVES TO LIFE?
For me, this process of falling in love, is what wakes me up in the morning and gets me quickly to my computer to write them real. I can't wait to hear your answers. And Welcome! It's nice to know you!