- Voice (choose your POV for the best fit)
- Story (kids' books must have plots - stuff must happen!)
- Originality (tell your story)
- Reader Appeal (she reads from a child's perspective)
- Holes in the List (the one thing out of our control and yes she told us what her hole was but if I wrote it here, I'd have to kill you)
Kate Larken talked about why you might choose a small press, and what that means to the author (basically no advance but higher payout). She's a feisty broad who is passionate about what she does. My writing buddy and I shared a lunch table with her and she would be very fun to work with.
Then the afternoon talk from Maggie Lehrman was about the "backstage drama" of getting a manuscript to publication. Super informative.
So here's the rub. If you want the inside skinny on good juice like this - you've got to join SCBWI and go to these conferences! Totally worth it, and those of us who went get a free submission pass to Maggie Lehrman (who anyone would be very lucky to have as an editor, she's smart, adorable, and friendly) at closed house Abrams.
So there it is - all the good stuff!