Sunday, April 24, 2011

Throwing a Leg Over

At forty-ahem-ahem, riding horses is no longer as carefree as I wish it was. I've had a couple of bone-breaking falls and the ground just doesn't forgive as much as it did when I was younger.

But...I bought Chelsea as a yearling from a friend of mine and she and I bonded. Tight. Unlike Zena, my other "my" horse, Chelsea will leave the herd to be with me, drops her head willingly in the halter, and all in all trusts me.

So I made the decision that I would be the first to ride her, and I accomplished that amazing goal last summer. Having ridden for most of my life, I'd never actually trained a horse from the ground up.

Well, she and I have had the entire winter off and in honor of this day of rebirth, I decided it was time to throw a leg over again. I spent the last few weeks reminding her about work and learning, then saddled her yesterday and worked with her and today we did it. Back in the saddle again.

Is this like writing? Yes and no. Every day I approach my WIP it is like fear, excitement, and can I do this all rolled into one. Riding is like that too. You must trust your instincts, listen to your horse, and remember, one small step at a time gets you where you need to be.

Happy Easter.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I think the two are close. Even 500 words a day can get a novel completed ... if you write them every day.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'