Monday, March 7, 2011

Glass Ceiling Dream

So this industry is hard.
First off, becoming a writer is hard work, time, sweat and toil.
Then you have to play the game of agents and queries, knowing when to hold them and when to fold them, so to speak.

I can't help but imagine that this dream is connected to my dream of becoming a published author.

I'm in an Asian restaurant, it's multi-storied, I'm trying to get out. I approach a stairwell, three women, not all Asian, are lounging there wearing some type of lace-up corset shirts. I ask how to get out. One of them points to a spiral staircase and says "Next floor, there's an exit to the outside." They laugh. I look at the staircase. There are no steps, only the curved iron balustrades that spiral up to the floor. I can see the restaurant is lively on the next floor and I can even see the walkway that leads to the exit.
But.
There.
Are.
No.
Stairs.

I woke up and immediately thought of breaking into the publishing world. Sometimes when you're sitting in the "not-agented, thank you for your submission, unfortunately your project isn't right for me, this is very subjective, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah" bean bag chair, it feels as if you will never be able to make your muscles strong enough to push yourself out of the chair. Or monkey your way up a stairless spiral staircase.

So, how do you build your stairs?

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of building muscles from scar tissue. And the only way to get the scar tissue is from sending stuff out, having it come back with those "While we read your work with interest" responses, rewriting, rethinking, resubmitting -- over and over until you think you really can't take any more, but still you DO take some more, because what else can you do?

    At some point, you wear somebody down or catch them by some clever bit of phrasing -- and they give you a leg up.

    Meanwhile, you've got other writers -- and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just got a "not for me" rejection even though I had an intriguing plot ... I think I'm wallowing in the same pond.

    At the same time, the same queries are getting personal comments of small publisher rejections when the agent rejections are forms.

    I think talking/pitching agents at conferences might one of the best ways to build a step ... but that's really expensive.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'