Monday, January 24, 2011

Chatty Freakin' Cathy!

It's possible I could blame the big bowl of vanilla ice cream draped with caramel AND chocolate sauce for keeping me sleepless, but that wasn't all.

My characters, Mose and Tully and Will, Papaw and Candice, Mom and Mama B, they WOULD NOT SHUT UP last night. Literally. I was lying in bed with my eyes closed and the next chapter would appear and their little imaginary conversations would unfold. Oh, I write beautifully in these nether moments, but I am always too tired and too lazy to crawl out from under the warm covers to do it.

Do your characters keep you up at night?

I'm close to finishing the first draft of this one and I'm going to be really sad. I really love all these folks, even if they do keep me up at night with their incessant chatter.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, they do sometimes! And if they are keeping me up, I usually pull out a notebook and start writing.

    I generally write in the morning, so I like it when my characters pull me out of bed in the morning. (When this happens, I know that I will have a productive writing day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just so lazy when I'm warm under the covers. If the buzz gets too loud then sometimes I get out of bed and go to the computer (writing long hand frustrates me - I do chicken scratch notes on random papers everywhere) - morning is my best time too though I don't always get to write in the morning and have to make do in the evening. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens to me all the time. I do sometimes drag myself out of bed to write it down because I know I'll never get it exactly right the next morning. It's kind of a love/hate thing. I love that my characters come alive and talk to me, but I hate that they choose when I'm exhausted to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'